Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I just picked up a C4S that has black ventilated seats. The seats have what looks like water stains and streaks on them. I tried Griots leather cleaner spray, not the heavy conditioner and it did nothing to help. Does anybody else have this issue and perhaps a solution?

I tried a search but found similar posts, but no solutions. Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I have exactly the same problem on my new 2009 C4S when I picked it up. I tried a number of leather treatments.. nothing worked. Brought it to the dealer who took photos and sent them to the factory. I was advised that "I must have done something to the seats to cause the problem". I persisted and was advised that new seat leather would be sent to the dealer who would install it on the seats. I did not agree to take this action. I could not imagine what these seats would look like when recovered by the mechanics...

I'm still sick over this situation. Sorry I could not offer more encouragement.

I have the same problem with the ventilated seats in my 2010 C2S. I am having them looked at by the dealer next week.

I previously owned an Acura CL with perforated (but not ventilated) seats and they never showed any issues such as this.

I love the seats, but the spots are a major distraction.

I had my dealer look at my seats this week. The Technician said that the color variations were due to the foam liner under the leather being pushed up closer to some areas of the perforated leather. He he had seen it before and said is was natural for these seats.

I am not sure I buy the explanation. The spots change intensity and even disappear depending on where the lighting originates from and from where your sight line is. Doing a magnified look at a spotted area, I see differences in the color of the interior sides of the holes. Not the underlying liner.

My service writer looked at the TSB database and there was noting pertaining to ventilated seats, at least for 997's.

I am thinking that if some leather treatment was viscous enough to penetrate all of the holes uniformly, it may even out.

Any other ideas out there or recommendations for a leather treatment product?

I had something similar with my black ventilated seats after I did a poor leather conditioning application (my car was new and I made the mess) - not water stains, but visable stains nonetheless. After some research I bought the Leatherique products. It worked great for me and completely removed the stains. I slightly modified their instructions by using the rejuvenator solution as a spray. That way I was able to apply a nice uniform coating, work it in and let it sit for about 4 hours, and then followed their instructions to finalize the work. If you are running out of ideas, this might be something to try.

Thanks for the idea. I just ordered the Leather Master products and will try that first. It is not supposed to be thick or viscous, so I hope it will interact well with the ventilation holes.

I will post results in a few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe I have a remedy for the mottled (stain-look) Porsche ventilated seats.

After a lot of internet searching, I decided to use the Leather Master products. I got them from www.leatherworldtech.com . They seem quite knowledgeable.

I think the significant part of the fix is to use their “Soft Cleaner”, even though my seats did not need cleaning. When use as directed, that is, putting the liquid on their soft foam sponge and squeezing it until the liquid foams, then rubbing it into the ventilated leather in a circular manner. Be sure to get it foamed up so it penetrates the ventilation holes. I used it liberally to be sure the holes were fully wetted. It took about 2 and half of the 250ml bottles to complete my two seats.

Let it dry for a day or so, then examine the seats in either side-lite sunlight or incandescent light, shown from various angles. I had to do some additional areas for touch-up.

From there, I am now applying the Leather Master “Vital” product to re-enrichen the leather. The “Soft Cleaner” leaves the leather with a flat matte finish. The Vital, once dry, is not shiney, but takes the matte finish down. Try it on a small place on the seat to see for yourself if you like it.

I still like the seats a lot and I hope this solves the mystery for good.

Curious if the ventillated seats are desirable with the stain issue apparently common.

I would not say there is a problem but just make sure you clean, treat, and protect them on a normal interior cleaning schedule. Once I fixed my water spot issue (I have a cab) they have been spot and trouble free. Any leather will spot if not cared for properly, it is just that the vent holes require a more careful approach IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

The seats are lined with ****ty leather. Period. They wear badly where there is friction with solid objects such as cell phones, walets, rough jeans, etc. I am thinking that I may not squak the failure. Porsche chose a bad supplier, probably chinese and the product is simply unsat. If enough owners complain they may do a campaign but I have heard surprisingly little commplaints. Let's get together and make some outrage! This is BS in a $90 K automobile.

post-2248-0-39131900-1329760147.jpgpost-2248-0-31329100-1329760162.jpg

I just got off the phone with PCNA. My 09 CS Cabriolet with gray ventilated seats has the stain problem. I started my discussion with my local Porsche dealer last November. All I wanted was a recommendation on how to get rid of the stains. He spoke to the Porsche area rep who agreed to replace the seat covers under warranty. The new seat covers arrived from Germany after a month's wait. Unfortunately they were black not gray. The dealer reordered them in January. Now Porsche calls to tell me that they are not covered under warranty. This is very frustrating. I was told by my service rep that the problem was in the dye that colors the leather leaking through the vent holes. This sounds like a manufacturing defect to me.

I just had my passenger seat cover ruined by a careless dealer tech who repaired my cup holder under warranty. Apparently he had soemthing in his fat A## back pocet that pressed and 2 inch permanent "dent" in the leather (see picture). When I picked up my car i saw the damage and said WTH? My service manager said he would take care of it.. Then his boss tried to tell me it was "normal" wear and tear and wasn't their fault.. I take IMMACULATE care of my car and know where every flaw is.. I tore into this idiot like a wolverine. Not a blemish on the drivers seat but the passenger seat has worn???? Needless to say they agreed to replace the leather seat cover..We'll see how it turns out. I'm not the most "easy going" guy when it come to my P car....

post-7267-0-92464300-1329852583_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

They probably will use a heat gun and workout the indentation.

They replaced the leather seat cover on my insistence. The only problem is that I have one new seat bottom and the rest of the car doesn't match. I need to get my wife to drive with me more to get some oil in the leather. Just that seat cover (bottom) is $1000 by the way. Gotta love Porsche.. Also gotta love my warranty too. Although the idiot tech did the damage the dealership managed to get my warranty to pay for it.

• 4 weeks later...
post-2248-0-39131900-1329760147.jpgpost-2248-0-31329100-1329760162.jpg

I just got off the phone with PCNA. My 09 CS Cabriolet with gray ventilated seats has the stain problem. I started my discussion with my local Porsche dealer last November. All I wanted was a recommendation on how to get rid of the stains. He spoke to the Porsche area rep who agreed to replace the seat covers under warranty. The new seat covers arrived from Germany after a month's wait. Unfortunately they were black not gray. The dealer reordered them in January. Now Porsche calls to tell me that they are not covered under warranty. This is very frustrating. I was told by my service rep that the problem was in the dye that colors the leather leaking through the vent holes. This sounds like a manufacturing defect to me.

Wow. I cannot believe a company like Porsche would pull something like this. Talk about a way to alienate customers.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else tried to get stains out? I've had my carrera cab with ventilated seats for 3 weeks and just noticed some tiny water spot stains. Other than the one person who used leatherique anyone else successfully get the stains out? Thanks. Cant stand my interior being flawed.