Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Modifications to GT3

GT350

I have read several modifications and additions that people have made to their GT3s. I was wondering what people had the best luck with. If you were going to make one or two mods. to improve performance what would you recommend?

Thanks

Two things, first get rid of those OE yellow "Comfort" brake pads, I changed to Pagid RS 4-2-1 dark blue in the rear and street black in the front, different colors but essentially the same, both same compound. Second being the change to a light weight flywheel. A world of difference.

Two things, first get rid of those OE yellow "Comfort" brake pads, I changed to Pagid RS 4-2-1 dark blue in the rear and street black in the front, different colors but essentially the same, both same compound. Second being the change to a light weight flywheel. A world of difference.

Thanks. Have you done anything to increase the HP?

I've only done a couple of things, Fabspeed Mufflers and different air filter, about 5 hp or so gain. More gain with the Fabspeed muffler bypass. All mods reasonablly priced, less than 4 figures. What kind of HP are you looking for, out of the box this car is faster than I can reasonablly drive it. Plan on spending a grand on driving schools, then worry about more HP.

Edited by RayGT3

I've only done a couple of things, Fabspeed Mufflers and different air filter, about 5 hp or so gain. More gain with the Fabspeed muffler bypass. All mods reasonablly priced, less than 4 figures. What kind of HP are you looking for, out of the box this car is faster than I can reasonablly drive it. Plan on spending a grand on driving schools, then worry about more HP.

RayGT3,

Great point, I am going to the PDE and other track events. I had seen some articles about "improving" the GT3 and thought maybe there was something I was missing. I think between your suggestions and the comments about the flywheel that will address any changes. You are right this is a great car.

Thanks,

I totaly understand, we get a new car and want to tinker and make it "better". I went through that myself. I think we all do. But after a series of track outings you will be able to judge for your self what needs to be changed or not, based on your driving style, not what every one else has done. Don't believe everything you read. Get yourself some good safety equipment and get out there and drive the wheels off that puppy..... enjoy!

Simply my humble opinion.

Might also consider an alignment- many of the cars came with a "unusual" free factory alignment that was way off. Many also swear by corner weighting, though I haven't done that... yet. (And of course, the real euro seats.)

Edited by skl

Might also consider an alignment- many of the cars came with a "unusual" free factory alignment that was way off.  Many also swear by corner weighting, though I haven't done that... yet.  (And of course, the real euro seats.)

Did you put in the real euro seats? Are they a Sparco brand?

Thanks,

They are the factory seats they put in them in Europe- I believe they are made by Recaro but I don't know that for a fact. I'm sure someone here does... They don't fold so it's a little harder to put stuff in back- just have to be creative!

^ yeah they're made by recaro (very solid workmanship...just make sure you don't carry any fat chicks in them)

GT350, additionally to all the very good points made here about doing some DE's and basic bolt ons, a bit of weight reduction wouldn't hurt either, maybe get the car down to RS spec?

^ yeah they're made by recaro (very solid workmanship...just make sure you don't carry any fat chicks in them)

GT350, additionally to all the very good points made here about doing some DE's and basic bolt ons, a bit of weight reduction wouldn't hurt either, maybe get the car down to RS spec?

Thanks. I am going to look at the Recaro seats. Also check into the weight reduction, a recent article had the GT3 at 8.5 ib. per bhp where others are at 7.

• 4 weeks later...

In Seattle Moton's are very popular with the GT3 folks. A great shop in town thinks the dampening is not right for lots of track, autoX use. any that is the reason for teh "twitch".

I will not do anything until 2006.

I want to learn the car first and have my abilities catch up with the car. Then comes the Motons, Light Flywheel, and tires.

This year is the balance,seat,harness and bar. Maybe PDE in the summer.

• 8 months later...

For anyone considering MOTON's (and they are indeed great) there's only one guy/shop to consider to do the work: Chris Cervelli at Premier Motorsport in Denver (chriscervelli@msn.com); (303) 341-7666. Besides being a winning IMSA & PCA driver, he's done more R&D on the 964RS, 993RS/Cup, and 996 GT3/Cup than most entire race shops. He also does consulting/crew work for The Racer's Group and many others. He's done my 964RS Clubsport and GT3 Clubsport -- we just put a full GT3 Cup suspension in my GT3 CS and man what a difference on the track (keep in mind its a dedicated track car only with - 4 degrees camber!)

I agree with the above comments of build up your driving skills first as a Mark II GT3 "out of the box" will crush 99% of anything else on the track in terms of braking/cornering IF you know how to drive it. Just ask Tommy Archer, John Heinricy and the rest of the Speed World Challenge drivers who got "schooled" by Wolf Henzler at Infinion & Laguna Seca last year in his debut to US road course racing (albeit that was a GT3 Cup).

Get the Recaro/Euro sports seats (used sets on eBay & Rennlist all the time), single-mass flywheel and sport clutch (may take ECU reprogramming) offered in the RS/Clubsport, and you can always think about the $45 crankcase breather valve that has been tested to provide 5hp on street cars and about 10-15hp on race cars (see Rennlist post on this). I'm dyno'ing several exhaust solutions (Schnell, Fabspeed, others) next week to see if any real gains are available for my Mark 1.

Later,

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

no need to add hp. with all due respect, the car is way above us mortals skills to even think of adding hp. if you like to make it better, i suggest moton cs which i run, euro gt3 seats, a real roll bar (not tequipment), 5-6 pt harness, lwfw... that's about it.

• 2 months later...
no need to add hp. with all due respect, the car is way above us mortals skills to even think of adding hp. if you like to make it better, i suggest moton cs which i run, euro gt3 seats, a real roll bar (not tequipment), 5-6 pt harness, lwfw... that's about it.

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so excuse me if I'm posting something that has already been mentioned. I just bought my 2004 GT3 last month and loving it. I agree with Mooty that money should be spent on safety equipment and take it to the track to have some real fun and to learn more about the GT3. I have already bought a pair of bucket seats in fire retardent fabric (OEM of course). My next purchase will most likely be a factory CS roll bar, NOT Tequip one that the dealers are selling, with 6 pt. belts for the driver side.

However, while browsing through the web I have found a few parts from the GT3RS that can be retrofitted. One part that I have come across is the Ram Air spoiler that fits ontop of the engine lid which forces more air into the airbox. I have included, below, an email from FVD regarding there spoiler.

"It is not an oem part, it is made of GFK (Strengthened Glass Fiber). If anything it would add a small bit of downforce only.

Here are the details:

GT3 AIR RAM

We have a GT3 air ram for 996 GT3 & GT3 RS. This air ram fits all GT3 air spoiler . Fits on O.E.M. of after market GT3 rear spoiler.

TECHNICAL DETAILS:

With the original GT3 air gets diffused and creates lots of turbulence in the filter. With our Air Ram, at 65mph and above the air will be channeled into the intake system. The Air Ram increases air volume, injects cooler air and more oxygen which means more power.

Over 100mph you will get 18 horsepower more! With the addition of this Air Ram we have reach 215 mph!! The kit includes mounting hardware (TUV approved) and installation instructions."

I don't know how true this is but it appears that everyone is claiming the same specs. I've also found a picture in the GMG website www.gmgracing.com that shows a yellow GT3 with one installed. Click on PROJECTS.

Regards,

Edwin