Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Thinking about buying a Cayenne - advice please...

I'm looking at a 2006 Cayenne Turbo S (my first Porsche.)

Anyone have any advice on what to "beware" of on this year, make and model?

85k miles and offered as Certified so I would be looking at 2yrs/15k mls. additional warranty coverage.

I was asking the salesperson if the air suspension components are covered and he said yes but he also said only if it breaks and that it would not be covered in terms of "wear and tear." I found that to be confusing and from the air suspension on a BMW X5 I once had, at least on that car, it was super-expensive to replace.

Anyway -- anyone willing to share advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

I'm sure everyone will chime in, but double check the whole Coolant pipe Pastic/Aluminum issue.

Secondly there are a lot of common small issues, which add up to big bucks (mainly because it has a Porsche emblem on it).

1. Cardan Shaft(drive shafts running to the front or rear diff (look for vibration on acceleration)

2. Front diffs sometimes (you will hear a fairly load humming at neutral loaded speeds)

3. Auto Tranny Solenoid (basically if it does erractically HARD downshifts)

4. Battery condition, i actually just had mine crap out on me, but when the battery starts to get older and holds a lower voltage when the car is off.....weird things happen.....i do all my own car work.....and i've never seen a car so sensitive to voltage.

i'm sure i can go on and on....i suggest searching too. Don't let the negative comments get you down too much.....when things run right, no one posts about an uneventful day of commuting.....but when some stupid comfort thing goes bad, you hear all about it....so it is a little one sided.

You will enjoy the power, handling, and all of the above.

Not having bluetooth, keyless/pushbutton start, or decent MPG does sucks a little....but you're driving a turbo cayenne because it's a 5500lb rocketship, not because you want to get good MPG....so keep those things in mind when buying ANY car.....the purpose of you buying a car should determine which features are most important.

ENJOY!

I've got a '06 Cayenne Turbo S also, about 58K miles and it's really been a trouble free vehicle. Did have the Aluminum coolant pipes installed on warranty though. I installed a set of Secondary Cat Bypass pipes and have also changed the front, rear, and transfer case fluid, will be doing the tranny fluid in the next month or two. I know the Cardan shaft will need a replacement in the next 10~20K but it's fine for now and is a great ride. I've also upgraded to EBC Yellow pads and installed a Mobridge Bluetooth which are both big improvements. With the warranty I wouldn't shy away from it.

All the euro suv's have a laundry list of issues. I have had the Touareg, Cayenne and now have an X5.

Please consider doing these two things:

1. Make sure it has warranty, preferably from Porsche and be a stickler to ensure its perfect and the warranty used.

2. Drive many before you buy and then drive others once you own it and have a very clear understanding of what perfect is. Some of the issues above sneek in slowly and until they become acute can go undetected. Drive one without the issue and it's immediately apparent when you get back in yours. Do this every 6 mths.

Buy the best you can find/afford and drive the arse off it. Ridiculously fast car by car standards, by SUV standards it's mental.

I'm up to 101K on my 2004 Cayenne S, and it has been very reliable. I've addressed most of the common issues, including water pump, primary fuel pump (Cayennes have 2), coolant pipes, coils, etc. I haven't had to replace my cardan shaft at this point.

I know why you're asking about the air suspension - I used to own an Audi Allroad Quattro. Cayennes don't have the same kind of issues with the air suspension that you tend to see in Audi, Range Rover, BMW, etc. The most common issue is that the compressor needs to be rebuilt. I had this done too, and I think it was only a few hundred dollars. I've heard of occasional problems with the control module for the air suspension, but they seem to be quite rare. I have never heard of a major component failing. I wouldn't worry about it. The air suspension and PASM are nice options to have on the Cayenne. I typically run mine on low ride, sport mode during the summer months, and at normal ride, normal mode during the winter.

Good luck with your purchase.

I'm going through the same thing...after several weeks of searching and studying I just put down a deposit on a 05 CTT. I found it in another state with all service documents/history including coolant pipes, coils replaced, rear hatch struts, among other things. I had an independent Porsche shop do a PPI on the truck which I HIGHLY recommend. I was able to find highly regarded independents in pretty much all the states/cities I found viable CTT's in by using this and other Porsche forums. My research has led me to believe that if you can find a nice one with services/regular issues taken care of you should be happy :)

Again, I highly recommend doing a PPI even if the car is local to you...getting a green light form a well known/respected independent really gave me the confidence to pull the trigger even though I haven't even seen the car in person!! I know I could still have issues but at least I did all I could to avoid the common problems.

Edited by gophaster

I'm going through the same thing...after several weeks of searching and studying I just put down a deposit on a 05 CTT. I found it in another state with all service documents/history including coolant pipes, coils replaced, rear hatch struts, among other things. I had an independent Porsche shop do a PPI on the truck which I HIGHLY recommend. I was able to find highly regarded independents in pretty much all the states/cities I found viable CTT's in by using this and other Porsche forums. My research has led me to believe that if you can find a nice one with services/regular issues taken care of you should be happy :)

Again, I highly recommend doing a PPI even if the car is local to you...getting a green light form a well known/respected independent really gave me the confidence to pull the trigger even though I haven't even seen the car in person!! I know I could still have issues but at least I did all I could to avoid the common problems.

Just as an fyi too....you can download the ppi online and do it yourself....you honestly wont check/see anything amazing but its a good place to start with any pre owned vehicle.

I did it with my ctt....only took me an hour or 2