Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cooling system pressure tester, adapters available?

Getting ready to do the coolant pipes and water pump on my '06 "S". It was recommended on a couple of DIY's to pressure test the system before putting the intake manifold back on (makes sense to me). However, it seems the adapters for the Porsche cooling system are rare (and expensive).

I like the idea of the $45 MityVac MV4560 Cooling System Pressure Test Kit http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_cse.asp as it wouldn't be a tool I would use much but they don't seem to have a adapter for the Porsche. Looking at others it seems the Stant http://www.stant.com/Consumer-Products/Testers---Adapters/Cooling-System/ is one of the few that does but between the tester and the adapter I would have to spend close to $500, and that's not an option.

The only other idea I can come up with is to use my existing cooling system cap, fabricate an adapter in it and order a new cap for the car. Are there any other options/suggestions?

TIA

Pressure testing and Vacuum filling are definitely the way to go... when you vacuum fill its fast and reliable... also say good bye to porsche's complicated "bleeding"

We use snap on pressure tester and vacuum filler..

AST has adapters for decent price... I believe the part number is FZ-22 (converts the porche threaded opening to a standard rad cap twist lock that works on most testers fillers.

http://www.amazon.co...2/dp/B00063XLTS

Sorry I keep thinking cayenne says carrerra . the above is for a 996 - 997 - 987

Cayenne Adaptor should be FZ 41

http://www.amazon.com/Assenmacher-Specialty-Tools-FZ-41/dp/B00063Y3TK

Edited by EleCTriCT
  • Upvote 1

+1, good advice.

When you vacuum fill, it sorta checks for leaks like a pressure test does (not exactly the same as a pressure test though). I would pressure test if you think you have a preexisting leak, such as in a coolant tank, heat exchanger, etc. But for run of the mill refills after replacing a hose or two or three...

Once you draw the vacuum and seal up the system, you wait to see if the vacuum holds for a period of time. If it does hold vaccum then there are no (large) leaks and you are good to allow the vacuum to draw the coolant in and fill the system.

The uview airlift 5500000000000 does a great job of this, I've used it countless times on my 996, and only costs about $100. It comes with a ton of adapters for all sorts of different cars, I'm sure one would work with the 9PA. You need a roughly 5gal or larger air compressor to operate one of these units. There is no better way to refill a coolant system on any car.

Best part is you can buy it from renntech.org store at Amazon and rt gets part of the profit:

http://astore.amazon...tail/B0002SRH5G

Edited by logray

• Moderators

Looking at others it seems the Stant http://www.stant.com...Cooling-System/ is one of the few that does but between the tester and the adapter I would have to spend close to $500, and that's not an option.

I don't know where you got your price quote, but you can buy the Stant pressure tester (STA 12270) for $72.38 on Amazon, or $69.78 at ToolTopia. As for Porsche adaptors, there are two; 12016 will test the vehicle and sells for about $40; 12017 will test the cooling system cap, and sells for about $10.

I have two of the Stant testers, and an entire case full of adaptors to fit just about anything, and I didn't pay anywhere near $500 for everything.......................

• Thanks 1

Looking at others it seems the Stant http://www.stant.com...Cooling-System/ is one of the few that does but between the tester and the adapter I would have to spend close to $500, and that's not an option.

I don't know where you got your price quote, but you can buy the Stant pressure tester (STA 12270) for $72.38 on Amazon, or $69.78 at ToolTopia. As for Porsche adaptors, there are two; 12016 will test the vehicle and sells for about $40; 12017 will test the cooling system cap, and sells for about $10.

I have two of the Stant testers, and an entire case full of adaptors to fit just about anything, and I didn't pay anywhere near $500 for everything.......................

Yes, I misremembered. :blush:

yes the tester was about $75 but when I looked at Stant's site the adapter kit set for Porsche (and VW and Audi) is kit #10046 which is priced around $230 from the quick check I did.

Oh well, I'll make do with the vac kit.

You could probably rig the vacuum kit/fittings to do a pressure test if you wanted to.

It actually says something like "leak detector" in the tools full name.

Got a couple of deliveries today, all the Porsche parts from Hennessey and the tool from Amazon. That was fast! Amazon Prime is great.

Great, don't need to go to the dealer for the coolant! I knew I didn't have to use Porsche's liquid gold but wasn't sure what brands could be substituded. May get started on this sooner than I anticipated.

Thanks again.

The Ulift tool worked great. Got it up to 25 lbs vac. and it stayed steady for 90 sec (man says do for 20 sec for leak test) and it sucked up the coolant mix just fine. Still have to do 1 or 2 drive/let cool checks but overall worked great. Thanks for the tip.