Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Battery/generator warning light

Good day everyone!

I commute 30 miles to work each way. Just before I got there today, the battery/generator warning light came on as I stopped at a red light. I also heard some mechanical noise from the engine. I ended up driving the remaining few blocks to work and parking it in the garage. Now, I think I may need the generator replaced as my battery should be in good shape. Interestingly, I just had the 60k service... Which reminds me that years ago after I had a head gasket job on my 1995 Mercedes E320, a week later had the drive belt brake on the air pump (?) costing a bunch.

I will be calling the indie who did the service and get it towed to his shop.

Any word of advice on getting the car on the tow truck properly (flat bed)? As I am writing this it just occured to me: this is NOT concerning for the IMS failure, am I correct?

Thanks for letting me share : )

Gyorgy

Thanks Loren and JFP. I did check the belt, it seems fine. So, I hope maybe the pulley... Although it may not change the bottom line: replace the alternator. Any word of advice on towing?

Thanks for your thoughts!

There is a good blurb on towing in your owners manual. Basically it involves a flat bed and using the tow hook eye from your tool kit. There is a scan of the owners manual towing excerpt floating around somewhere.

• Moderators

Thanks Loren and JFP. I did check the belt, it seems fine. So, I hope maybe the pulley... Although it may not change the bottom line: replace the alternator. Any word of advice on towing?

Thanks for your thoughts!

If it is the pulley, the pulley is one Hell of a lot cheaper than a replacement alternator.......................

UPDATE:

I left the car at work yesterday and had my wife pick me up. Today I called the mechanic who recommended having the car towed but I was not thrilled about the idea of entrusting a tow truck driver with my car so after a friend suggested I could drive the car like that I called the mechanic back who gave his blessings -but also mentioned that there is a slim chance I may end up stranded, oh well....

So when I went back to the garage, the car started up the the "issue" was gone. I did go to the mechanic and he took a look and concluded that everything looked fine. So I will try to stick around close to home if this happens again.

Moral of the story? Probably none, but I did save $150 of towing costs : )

Thanks for the help!!