Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anyone try this chip

Understand that 60hp is an unrealistic claim. They might get that from some of their other chips. If I could get 10-20, it would be worth it. Just looking to see if someone else had expereinces to back up any improvement.

I have seen a few write-ups elsewhere that indicate these are total hoaxes. I agree with Loren on the possibility to boost that much on a NA with a chip. I doubt you get any boost. Some articles have actually looked at the technology and found the connections they use only power the chip and do nothing for the car performance. Hope that helps for what it is worth.

Something else to consider.....For a little more than that kind of horsepower on a 997 TT I spent ~$2500 for a DME tune. Doubtful anything for $69 on a NA car could really do much. Even the 10-20 HP claims seem unlikely. Tunes for 996/997S in that range are still over $1000, and that is under optimal condition...

I guess if you feel like trying it, you only risk $69.

Good luck, and maybe other have more experience with this?

DC

Edited by therock88

• Moderators

I have seen a few write-ups elsewhere that indicate these are total hoaxes. I agree with Loren on the possibility to boost that much on a NA with a chip. I doubt you get any boost. Some articles have actually looked at the technology and found the connections they use only power the chip and do nothing for the car performance. Hope that helps for what it is worth.

Something else to consider.....For a little more than that kind of horsepower on a 997 TT I spent ~$2500 for a DME tune. Doubtful anything for $69 on a NA car could really do much. Even the 10-20 HP claims seem unlikely. Tunes for 996/997S in that range are still over $1000, and that is under optimal condition...

I guess if you feel like trying it, you only risk $69.

Good luck, and maybe other have more experience with this?

DC

We always are concerned about third party DME re flashes potentially causing some type of harm to the DME itself (read expensive to replace), or causing loss of warranty (a real issue) on new cars. This device perplexes me even more because it attaches to the IAT sensor via two wires and supposedly works its magic reprogramming from there rather than the more conventional route. Weird……

All it contains is a couple resistors. It fools your DME into thinking the car is always cold and makes it run lean. Fine when the car is cold but once your at temp it still tells the car to run lean... Very bad for your valves.. I had a similar device on my Turbo from a previous owner. I didn't know what it was. When my tech saw it (and another friend who has 3 bad *** turbos) they said "take that off now"..

And nothing "plug and play" will give a normally aspirated 996 60 hp...Or 50 or 40 or even 30... :eek:

Edited by phillipj

I think if you use a resistor responsibly it's not too terrible an idea. For example you install the resistor along with an AFR gauge or tune it on the dyno.

But as Phillip points out, I think the vast majority are going to just splice that thing in and not have any idea what it is going to do to their engine internals.

Bottom line is unless you want to open a can of worms let the stock MAF and stock program handle the fuel mixture for you. Does someone really think a $70 device is going to do something better than the result of multi-millions of dollars Porsche put into R&D?

Bottom line is unless you want to open a can of worms let the stock MAF and stock program handle the fuel mixture for you. Does someone really think a $70 device is going to do something better than the result of multi-millions of dollars Porsche put into R&D?

Well said my friend...