Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Changing the Current Rims from Silver to Black

Haven't tried it myself, but I have seen people use Plasti-Dip spray cans to change the colors of the wheels. What you can do is coat them in black and see if you really like the color. Unlike paint, with Plasti-Dip, you can peel the film off if you don't like it. If you do like black, it is a matter of either getting them professionally refinished, cleaned, sprayed or there are many DIY spray products. I don't recommend the use of cheap spray paint because it will not stand up to the brake dust, washing, temperature.

Here is a video demonstrating the plasti-dip process:

• Upvote 1

I just ordered Plastidip (black matte) for my '04 996ttx50 Speed Yellow Cab. I've got the Turbo Twists, and I am going to check out how they look with a matt finish. If I don't like matte, I'll put gloss on them. If I don't like that, then I'll just peel them off.

Also, going to plastidip my turbo inlet covers to black. I think the yellow/black contrast will look pretty good. I'm hoping. I'll post pictures when I get them done.

Will do. Still haven't received the plasti dip yet, but looking forward to doing them. I'm thinking that it's such a minor operation that I can probably do them in my condo (downtown SF) parking lot and not even worry about going outside. If I keep over with a respiratory ailment, well, that's why you won't see pictures.

I really don't like the trend of switching to black wheels, but it's not as horrible on white cars. Personally, I think it looks like you're missing a hubcap. Anyway, I think the PlastiDip idea is great because you can always undo it when you come to your senses. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what my '04 996 ttx50 Cabrio looks like with matte black intercooler ducts. I put on 5 coats of plastidip... Took me about 90 minutes, with only about 9 minutes of actual work (rest of it was drying time between coats). I did this in my condo shower -- very little cleanup.

I think it looks good. I was thinking about putting the glossifyer coat on top of the Plastidip, but my wife suggested that the matte might look better because its in sync with the matte cabrio top. I think she's right. It does look pretty sharp.

This is my first time working with PlastiDip. I'm impressed with how easy it is to do right. My next project will be to PlastiDip the wheels. There's an interesting video on YouTube where it shows "Fonzie" using a large plastic bag to protect the rotor and pads. You can PlastiDip with the wheels right on the vehicle.

post-78268-0-63606900-1338851260_thumb.j

post-78268-0-36341400-1338851277_thumb.j

post-78268-0-78414700-1338851296_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Plasti-dipped my wheels...I'm quite happy with how well they've held up, especially considering the $10 investment. I also painted the rotor hats flat black with VHT hi-temp paint.

post-81181-0-35634200-1341513357_thumb.j

post-81181-0-79913000-1341513358_thumb.j

post-81181-0-22075000-1341513360_thumb.j

post-81181-0-39664800-1341513423_thumb.j

Edited by Laz74

(sigh) I'm happy that you guys like your black wheels, but I have to say I think they're fugly. I just don't get this trend. It looks like you have spare tires mounted all around, or painted them with ten dollars worth of spray paint. The ones with the chrome/silver rims and gloss spokes are much better. At least you can tell it was intentional.

Why anyone would want to make an iconic high-end car look like a ghetto Honda is beyond me.

Edited by wyovino

Says the guy driving an "automatic" Porsche :/

Your point? I didn't take my factory Tiptronic Cabriolet and try to make it look like ghetto teen's wet dream. It's still the classy, iconic, high-end car that came from the Porsche factory.

Edited by wyovino

I like the white / black rim look orlandoguy1 when i was looking for my car I actually wanted a white 996 to do similar but hey love my 40th AE so silver it is.

As far as MSRP goes since some people are "bragging" my sticker says $96k. So, I guess mines is bigger, lighter and faster all at once, LOL.

Edited by MiamiC70

• 5 months later...