Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Where to buy piston rings/lifters 996 rebuild

+1 on above post, the best way to address a rebuild is without question LN Engineering.

However, if you are going stock for rings, try www.porscheoemparts.com or sunsetporsche.com. However, good luck "honing" Lokasil to bed those new rings!!! LOL.

For compatible lifters, look at this post:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-forum/623466-lifter-noise.html

I was thinking the same thing -- last I heard you were ripping up asphalt and all was well.

If you need help with the short block -- let me know and I can check my mechanic buddy's schedule.

The tricky part is getting the circlips on the piston wrists on the 2nd block half.

He created his own tool to do this. Or you can buy the Porsche tool.

Mike

Thanks guys. I had a recurrent intermix in my engine about two years after having cracks repaired in both cylinder heads. Engine cam out again and I have sent heads back to machine shop in California, but alas the cylinder head repairs checked out OK. After some procrastination I have now dissassembled down to the crankshaft. Previously I had purchased another 996 engine with a spun bearing in case I needed the heads.

Now my assumption is that I have a cracked block and I am rebuilding with the block from my other engine. I had this block cleaned at checked out with a local machine shop, no defects. Wish me luck. This crap is turning me into a decent mechanic though!

Here's a question: Do I have to have my crankshaft polished or checked before reassembly. Car was running fine but just intermixing. I am planning on making my own tools for the circlip placement, this looks doable without the cost of the porsche tools.

There is a local guy here that had a 996 with a flaw in the case. It was the car that a woman in Texas bought and then had an intermix, the dealer changed the head gaskets and the problem continued. He bought it from here, repaired the flaw, rebuilt the engine, then sold it back to the woman. This was several years ago. I can't remember if the flaw was in a head or the main case, but some how he found it and repaired it. I was not a crack, but a flaw, thin spot in the casting. Perhaps this was what they used to call a porous block. I will have to contact him and see where he flung the problem.