Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

these exhaust prices seem too good to be true... legit?

I was looking around for options for upgrading my exhaust system on my 99 c2 and everything I found was looking to be up around 5 or 6k, but then I came across design911.co.uk and they list their systems for much less, $1600 for a system with x-pipe but no headders, and $2400 for complete system headders to mufflers.

has anyone heard of this site, or even used it themselves? this just seems to me like there has to be a catch or something, i was seeing 200 cell cats for around $2000 and these are entire systems with 200 cell cats for around that price.

I've used Design911 a few times. They have a decent reputation here in the UK. There are a couple of fellows on the Porsche Club GB who have fitted DesignTek systems, and are happy with them.

Another site you can try in the UK is Type911.co.uk who are also well regarded.

Thank you for letting me know that they have a diecent reputation, have you seen any of their systems in person? if so how is the build and material quality? I am still trying to wrap my head around the drasticly lower prices then I have seen elsewhere. Also do you have any idea how they sound? I want something with a good sound and a little louder then stock, but I dont want anything annoyingly loud.

No, I haven't seen them in the flesh, but I haven't heard complaints about the quality. I believe the Sport version gives a nice sound, but the Super Sport can be a bit too loud for some.

Edit: Another option you might wish to consider might be a Dansk system. I can vouch for the quality of these, which is excellent.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

I have the design 911 valvetronic system on my 996 C2 convertible. The quality is very good, the sound is lovely, its better than the original system even in 'normal' mode.

No problems fitting, no forcing or bending. Only one slight issue for me, one of the pairs of lambda sensors is vertically upwards, I had the trim the central heat shield slightly but only a two minute job.

I didn't use the radio control system supplied with the valvetronic kit, I fitted the original porsche switch and a changeover relay.

I can supply pics if anyone is interested.

Paul G

Edited by Paul Grainger

I have the design 911 valvetronic system on my 996 C2 convertible. The quality is very good, the sound is lovely, its better than the original system even in 'normal' mode.

No problems fitting, no forcing or bending. Only one slight issue for me, one of the pairs of lambda sensors is vertically upwards, I had the trim the central heat shield slightly but only a two minute job.

I didn't use the radio control system supplied with the valvetronic kit, I fitted the original porsche switch and a changeover relay.

I can supply pics if anyone is interested.

Paul G

Hi Paul --

I'm somewhat interested in the concept. Why don't you use the radio system? Too quiet otherwise?

I think it's neat to be able to "unmuffle" the exhaust when you're out driving alone (vs having the wife in the car trying to carry on a conversation).

Do you mind me letting me know how much you spent on the Valvetronic exhaust? I've got a 996TTxt50, and I see that Valvetronic has a model for my car.

Hi Mike

The total system cost £2200 plus VAT (in the UK, VAT rate is 20%). Mine is the DesignTek valvetronic system complete with full stainless steel manifolds (headers) and stainless steel 200 cell catalyst sections. Basically, its the entire exhaust system.

I also replaced the tailpipes for the 'twin pipe' design, just to finish the job off. My original tail pipes ratlled slightly on tickover which irritated me.

Maybe I misled you about the radio control system for the valvetronic exhaust. I can still operate the valvetronic mechanism, but I wanted to have the proper porsche PSE switch fitted in the centre console, to keep an OEM look. The valvetronic system comes with a keypad fob, this works OK but isn't what I wanted. I purchased the proper switch from porsche, and wired it through to a 'ratchet' changeover relay mounted with the ECU's behind the rear seat. The switched 12V from the relay connects directly to the vacuum control solenoid that operated the valvetronic system. I don't have any speed limitation on when the valvetronic by-pass mode can be enabled. My car passed its MOT test without problems with the new system fitted.

I can recommend this system. The quality and finish are good, and everything fitted well.