Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Where's everyone getting there Porsche Replacement Parts from?

Im needing a few parts and have a few places Ive been going locally but still appear to be pricey so want to know where everyone else is going for parts? If anyone knows a reasonable price place in Northern Cali Bay Area Im all ears! If not and parts are being ordered where is everyone ordering it from?

Im needing a electronic change over and Cut-Off Valve and also a 00 Cab rear drivers side window assembly as my rear window is having issues closing and opening. I replaced the passenger rear and a few months later the drivers rear went out on me. If I remembered right I paid over $600 for the **** rear track assembly and has to be a cheaper place to purchase the drivers rear??? All I really need is the track as the motor is fine but from what I remember theres no way to get these without the motor as one.

Thanks in advance.

Johnny

I normally use sunset they are usually the cheapest depending on the size of the part because you pay the shipping. I did stop in at Rector Porsche near SFO airport once and they seemed to have reasonable prices. I was only looking for a small plastic piece at Rector they were out of stock but said the part was only 80 cents. I went to the Porsche dealership in Dallas and that same piece of plastic was $2.40. I have also looked at DC automotive and they seem to have decent prices as well they have new and used parts there I believe. I hope that helps. I am interested to see what everyone else has to say.

For Porsche OEM/approved parts, Sunset Porsche in Beaverton OR, Suncoast Porsche in Florida, Sonnen Porsche in CA (porscheoemparts.com which has on line look up and pricing which is very helpful). Also getting to know the parts dept. guys at you local dealership can be very helpful, they sometimes have a lot of flexibility on pricing. Having the PET program with current pricing or looking up the pricing on porscheoemparts helps. Dealers set their own pricing. The other days I was buying a small hose connector that "lists" for about $5.50, the local dealer quoted $10.50, when I pointed this out they said OK and sold it at list. Again knowing the parts guys helps (it also helps that my daughters boyfriend is an apprentice tech at that dealer so they know me tht way. He can also buy parts at cost +10%).

Also get to know some of the aftermarket parts sources, there are so many. You can often get parts from the OEM source that just don't have the Porsche label on them at greatly reduced prices. This week I had to replace my alternator, new lists for about $1,700, one dealer quoted a lit of $1,500 for a rebuilt that they would sell for $1,058, I bought a factory rebuilt Bosch for about $350.

The parts breakers can be good sources, DC Auto, Oklahoma Foreign have been good sources for me. Ther are some othes that have less than glorious reputations.

Amazon is not a bad source. And believe it or not eBay can be a good source, but watch out and you have to know what you are buying. You actually see parts sold for more than the dealer price and ther is a lot of crap. I watch it regularly and often buy parts on the anticipation that I might need them or someone else might need them. Some samples. I bought a new, in the box, Porsche labled, dual mass flywheel for $60 once, unbelievable. I sat I. It for three years u til I needed it with a clutch change. I bought my PSS10 set for $1,800 on eBay.

I normally use sunset they are usually the cheapest depending on the size of the part because you pay the shipping. I did stop in at Rector Porsche near SFO airport once and they seemed to have reasonable prices. I was only looking for a small plastic piece at Rector they were out of stock but said the part was only 80 cents. I went to the Porsche dealership in Dallas and that same piece of plastic was $2.40. I have also looked at DC automotive and they seem to have decent prices as well they have new and used parts there I believe. I hope that helps. I am interested to see what everyone else has to say.

Thanks Ill have to give Rector a call. I was going to Walnut Creek and Santa Clara Porsche but there pricing seems high to me.

For Porsche OEM/approved parts, Sunset Porsche in Beaverton OR, Suncoast Porsche in Florida, Sonnen Porsche in CA (porscheoemparts.com which has on line look up and pricing which is very helpful). Also getting to know the parts dept. guys at you local dealership can be very helpful, they sometimes have a lot of flexibility on pricing. Having the PET program with current pricing or looking up the pricing on porscheoemparts helps. Dealers set their own pricing. The other days I was buying a small hose connector that "lists" for about $5.50, the local dealer quoted $10.50, when I pointed this out they said OK and sold it at list. Again knowing the parts guys helps (it also helps that my daughters boyfriend is an apprentice tech at that dealer so they know me tht way. He can also buy parts at cost +10%).Also get to know some of the aftermarket parts sources, there are so many. You can often get parts from the OEM source that just don't have the Porsche label on them at greatly reduced prices. This week I had to replace my alternator, new lists for about $1,700, one dealer quoted a lit of $1,500 for a rebuilt that they would sell for $1,058, I bought a factory rebuilt Bosch for about $350.The parts breakers can be good sources, DC Auto, Oklahoma Foreign have been good sources for me. Ther are some othes that have less than glorious reputations.Amazon is not a bad source. And believe it or not eBay can be a good source, but watch out and you have to know what you are buying. You actually see parts sold for more than the dealer price and ther is a lot of crap. I watch it regularly and often buy parts on the anticipation that I might need them or someone else might need them. Some samples. I bought a new, in the box, Porsche labled, dual mass flywheel for $60 once, unbelievable. I sat I. It for three years u til I needed it with a clutch change. I bought my PSS10 set for $1,800 on eBay.

Thanks for the info and link. Ill take a look at that link. Must be nice to have some pull with Porsche and it also helps as you can research more on how much costs is and it gives you more of an advantage of getting ripped off! Would you be willing to purchase the rear window and I can send you the money if your able to get a better deal through your connections? :thumbup:

Yea Im usually always on the prowl for deals or things that I could use when needed new or used. I just cant seem to find the rear window anywhere online and would prefer new rather than used as well. Plus Im just wanting to find a shop or store I can get parts from and build a repor with. So thats why I posted.

One way to shop for prices is to type the OEM part # on google. A list of companies that sell that part will come up and you research them. One source that hasn't been mentioned is AutohausAZ.com.

Yea I get some BMW parts from them on occassions. Ive done searches on the web but its always better to get insight from people on the forums. :D

To go along with what Dharn55 was saying about getting to know your local Porsche dealer (great advice). I live in Dallas and we have 3 Porsche dealers and I was told by a mechanic and fellow PCA member which one is the best to buy from. Boardwalk Porsche near where I live gives a 10% discount to PCA members and they have the best pricing in my area.

Most new car dealers use what is called "Matrix pricing" it is just a formula that makes inexpensive items more expensive. It usually looks something like this.

0.01 to 0.99 List Price times 3.5

1.00 to 4.99 List Price time 2

5.00 to 24.99 list price times 1.5

25.00 to 100.00 list price time 1.25

over 100 list price no markup

Each dealer has there own matrix pricing table, but most of them use it. This is why you will see that some dealers will have a part for .80 and others have the same part for 2.40. The best deals are the places like Sunset, where they have a straight cost plus 15% markup for parts. Most dealers give discounts to shops, and only the largest shops get this level of pricing. Most shops get list minus 20% larger shops often get cost plus 20%. So when you are getting cost plus 15% it is a very good deal.

For you to get this price, the part has to be order on their stock order. The dealers place two types of orders each day, Daily, and Overnight also known as VOR (Vehicle Of Road). When a dealer places an order on the stock order if it is in stock at the PDC (Parts Distribution Center) it arrives 3-5 days later. By using the stock order this benefits the dealer with an Obsolescence credit usually 2.5%. So if the dealer orders for you a part on a stock order with a cost of $100 they would accumulate an additional 2.50 to their obsolescence credit. Once each quarter, the dealer uses this obsolescence credit to return old stock to the manufacturer. They submit a list of there oldest parts that they would like to remove from stock. The manufacturer sends back a list of the parts they would like sent back and the rest are destroyed.

Likewise if they order a part on the overnight, they get no obsolescence credit and they have to pay freight for the part. This is why if you need a part in a hurry, and the dealer has to order it overnight you really pay for it.

For your big ticket items like the 600 window assembly, all dealers should have the same list price as the pricing matrixes usually cut off around $200. But you will still get the best deal by going to one of the cost plus dealers and letting them order it on their stock order. Personally I prefer to buy everything at my local Porsche dealer, as I have a good relationship with them. They give me a 20% discount so I end up paying more then with Sunset, but to me it is worth it. A lot of times the dealers will give you a discount and not charge you the matrix if you just ask them for it. Or ask them for the shop pricing.

Johnny, I bought a small part from Steven's Creek in San Jose. Pricing was very much in line with what online retailers were charging. It also felt good to do business locally. I haven't had the need for a ton of parts, but I look forward to working with them more often. I'm closest to Walnut Creek/Stead, but with my job, I travel all over the Bay area so I can shop around a bit next time I am in need.

Good luck!

To go along with what Dharn55 was saying about getting to know your local Porsche dealer (great advice). I live in Dallas and we have 3 Porsche dealers and I was told by a mechanic and fellow PCA member which one is the best to buy from. Boardwalk Porsche near where I live gives a 10% discount to PCA members and they have the best pricing in my area.

Yea Im not a PCA member and dont think there is a dealer that gives that discount here from what I know of. Ive talked to a few shops here and there but never really got to involved with them as they are pretty short with conversations.

Are you looking for the window itself or for the track/motor assembly? What are the part numbers?

I pretty much just need the track as my motor still works but I dont think they sell just the track? If I remember right its the entire assembly. Maybe you can double check for me. Ill try to get the part # tomorrow on the rear window as I dont have it on hand and I cant seem to find any online store to have it listed.

Most new car dealers use what is called "Matrix pricing" it is just a formula that makes inexpensive items more expensive. It usually looks something like this.

0.01 to 0.99 List Price times 3.5

1.00 to 4.99 List Price time 2

5.00 to 24.99 list price times 1.5

25.00 to 100.00 list price time 1.25

over 100 list price no markup

Each dealer has there own matrix pricing table, but most of them use it. This is why you will see that some dealers will have a part for .80 and others have the same part for 2.40. The best deals are the places like Sunset, where they have a straight cost plus 15% markup for parts. Most dealers give discounts to shops, and only the largest shops get this level of pricing. Most shops get list minus 20% larger shops often get cost plus 20%. So when you are getting cost plus 15% it is a very good deal.

For you to get this price, the part has to be order on their stock order. The dealers place two types of orders each day, Daily, and Overnight also known as VOR (Vehicle Of Road). When a dealer places an order on the stock order if it is in stock at the PDC (Parts Distribution Center) it arrives 3-5 days later. By using the stock order this benefits the dealer with an Obsolescence credit usually 2.5%. So if the dealer orders for you a part on a stock order with a cost of $100 they would accumulate an additional 2.50 to their obsolescence credit. Once each quarter, the dealer uses this obsolescence credit to return old stock to the manufacturer. They submit a list of there oldest parts that they would like to remove from stock. The manufacturer sends back a list of the parts they would like sent back and the rest are destroyed.

Likewise if they order a part on the overnight, they get no obsolescence credit and they have to pay freight for the part. This is why if you need a part in a hurry, and the dealer has to order it overnight you really pay for it.

For your big ticket items like the 600 window assembly, all dealers should have the same list price as the pricing matrixes usually cut off around $200. But you will still get the best deal by going to one of the cost plus dealers and letting them order it on their stock order. Personally I prefer to buy everything at my local Porsche dealer, as I have a good relationship with them. They give me a 20% discount so I end up paying more then with Sunset, but to me it is worth it. A lot of times the dealers will give you a discount and not charge you the matrix if you just ask them for it. Or ask them for the shop pricing.

I called around for the window assembly and each dealer had different pricing on that as well. I do prefer locally as well if possible but if its massively cheaper Ill go online and make the purchase as most have no taxes and free shipping.

Johnny, I bought a small part from Steven's Creek in San Jose. Pricing was very much in line with what online retailers were charging. It also felt good to do business locally. I haven't had the need for a ton of parts, but I look forward to working with them more often. I'm closest to Walnut Creek/Stead, but with my job, I travel all over the Bay area so I can shop around a bit next time I am in need.

Good luck!

Yea Im like you I live in Brentwood and its hit and miss. Some items are cheaper in Walnut Creek and some in Santa Clara. Its its majorly difference in price and costs is higher than Ill make the drive as I have family and friends out there anyways so its not just for the part so it makes sense but for things that are little bit off Ill buy in Walnut Creek as the gas and time, etc will be a factor as well.

Sunset is easy to work with, although Jeff has switched over to the Audi side of the business. Carlsen Porsche in Redwood City is also a good place.

It's also good to see the post from Duram. Best regards to you, Duram, if you see this reply. And, ... cheers.

Fremont Porsche seems to have the best pricing in Bay Area. Scott is a big help.

+1 on this. I called all the Bay Area dealers the other day looking for quotes on Oil Pressure Sender

Steven's Creek - off the charts expensive

Stead - Never returned my call

Fremont - Scott was great. Quoted price lower than Pelican, even before PCA discount. And he had the part number memorized ;)

Livermore - never returned my call

Sonnen - Price competitive with Fremont

Rector - price competitive with Fremont

I'll continue to try to use these guys when I can. Bummer that Stead, my closest dealer, couldn't be bothered to return my call.

Good luck!

I guess I got screwed. I needed a hood badge rubber gasket and 2 speed nuts. They charged me 4X for the gasket, and 3 X for the speed nuts. I ended up paying almost $30 for parts that could be had at Sunset for $8. What a bunch of rip-offs! The parts manager told me they were selling at MSRP, yeah, right!

Sunset is easy to work with, although Jeff has switched over to the Audi side of the business. Carlsen Porsche in Redwood City is also a good place.

It's also good to see the post from Duram. Best regards to you, Duram, if you see this reply. And, ... cheers.

Ive never tried Carlsen Ill have to give them a call.

Fremont Porsche seems to have the best pricing in Bay Area. Scott is a big help.

Ill give them call as they are closer to me than Carlsen but Ill try both.

+1 on this. I called all the Bay Area dealers the other day looking for quotes on Oil Pressure Sender

Steven's Creek - off the charts expensive

Stead - Never returned my call

Fremont - Scott was great. Quoted price lower than Pelican, even before PCA discount. And he had the part number memorized ;)

Livermore - never returned my call

Sonnen - Price competitive with Fremont

Rector - price competitive with Fremont

I'll continue to try to use these guys when I can. Bummer that Stead, my closest dealer, couldn't be bothered to return my call.

Yea I got a quote from Stevens Creek and was quoted I believe $220 for the Change Over Valve, $40 Electronic Change Over Valve and $1080 for the rear drivers cab window track! This seems to be way to high for these parts???

Agreed Stead never calls me back either and everytime I call I never get anyone live always the stupid answering machine.

Good luck!

I guess I got screwed. I needed a hood badge rubber gasket and 2 speed nuts. They charged me 4X for the gasket, and 3 X for the speed nuts. I ended up paying almost $30 for parts that could be had at Sunset for $8. What a bunch of rip-offs! The parts manager told me they were selling at MSRP, yeah, right!

It seems that Stevens Creek is getting higher and higher in pricing every year!

Wow there is actually someone at the parts in Steven's Creek? I never get a call back or email reply.....

Ive always got through and talked with them. They are cool people but the price kills it! Stead on the other hand is the ones that never pick up or call back it seems!