Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Window issues

The latch for the top no longer closes the switch to allow the windows to go all the way up. Is there any adjustment for the latch?

Also when I do get the windows up and open the door the window doesn't drop enough to open and close the door smoothly. Do you think this is all related?

It's possible. If both windows don't drop when each of their respective doors is broken, then I'd suspect the problem is also associated with the latch issue. If it only happens with one window when the door is opended, then I'd suspect the window regulator is broken. In this case the latch problem is probably separate.

The two problems are unrelated.

There is no adjustment to the latch, but you can insert a small spacer and attach it to the end of the latch hook so that it depresses the plunger-type microswitch in the latch a little more. If that does not solve your problem, you will have to repair or replace the microswitch.

The microswitch is one of two inside the latch receptacle assembly and its plastic part deforms over time. You can sometimes put a heat gun on the plastic part of the microswitch to bend it back into the correct shape, otherwise you have to replace it. Removal and replacement has been covered here before, but it's pretty straightforward.

As Thom pointed out, you have to isolate the "sluggish" window problem to determine whether you are getting the same result on both sides. My guess is that it is only happening on the driver's side and most probably your window regulator assembly is faulty. Either the steel cable in the regulator has streched or is "unwinding" itself (individual cables fraying) or one of the small plastic parts through which it travels has split or broken off. A good test for the regulator is to put the window all the way up and then try to manually apply pressure to the top of the glass. The window should not move at all. If you can push it down, even one half inch, then your regulator must be repaired or replaced.

A poster on 986forum.com managed to devise a repair which involves using a bicycle brake adjuster, and that has been a solid repair for a number of years for him. I posted photos of his repair previously here about two (?) years ago. If I find the link, I'll post it.

Regards, Maurice.