Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

CEL and code P0440

just had a CEL come on and durametric is showing:

P0440 - Porsche fault code 93 - Fuel tank ventilation minor leak.

checked the simple thing of the gas cap, and while it looks good, I will probably order a new one. any other ideas as to where to troubleshoot this?

forgot to add, recently i have had a couple of occasions where the car has been difficult to start. having to crank for a while for it to finally start. stalled once on me at a light , and cranked for maybe 15 seconds for it to fire up. the other time was after getting gas, and had to crank twice for 20 seconds to get it to start.

Edited by capt601

You may want to check your purge valve also

Ill check that, but wouldnt the purge valve show up as a different code? thanks.

My understanding is, not necessarily. I just checked the Bentley manual and it also mentions the purge valve (or PCV valve) for P0440.

There are two other PCV codes P0444 and P0445 which seem to concern more about the electrical behavior of the valve (driver stage check).

• Admin

From the Porsche manual...

P0440 Fuel Tank Ventilation System – Above Limit

Possible causes:

– EVAP canister purge valve faulty– Blocked purge air line– EVAP canister purge valve leaking− Leaking line between EVAP canister and air intake system– EVAP canister purge valve incorrectly installed

post-1-0-10795100-1359610403_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

thanks guys!!. one of my neighbors who is a porsche mechanic was able to come down and right away said the purge valve. he has seen it do exactly what i described many times.

now i am just trying to figure out the part number.

looks like i found the part number -996-110-129-53-M100 . $122 on pelican.

You may also want to do at least a visual inspection to make sure the lines it hooks up to are in good condition and not leaking. The most definitive way is to remove the valve and test it by trying to blow through it, with and w/o power applied. Good luck.