Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear Trunk Emergency Cable Not Working?

Unfortunately my rear trunk won't open on my way home today so I tried opening it through the emergency cable. The way I access it is through the rear liner (common referred approach) after taking the wheel off. I was able to get to it by fishing it out using a clothing hanger. I tried pulling the cable (from the loop end) and got nothing, no sound, and the cable felt like it was just attaching to a wall -- nothing gave way.

How hard do am I expected to pull the cable? I fell short of pulling with too much force. Has anyone have experience with pull the cable from the rear liner? Is the angle the problem? (I pulled from the top of the liner where I had some opening).

Side question: When reaching for the cable I cannot see the loop end so I use the hanger to pull at the middle of the cable and with some force the loop end loosen out. What is normally there to keep that loop end in place?

I don't have a direct answer for you. I can tell you this. I recently had a shop relocate my rear trunk emergency release cable so that is under the driver side bumperette. It's a snap now to take the cover off and pull the cable. I don't have to you a lot of pressure on it to pop the trunk open.

Is it possible that your pulling on some wire other than the emergency release cable. I don't know how the loop is attached. If it is like the one in front, then it's held in place by tape. I would expect you'd be able to pull the cable from the middle using the hanger so that eventually the cable slide down the hanger until you found the loop. If you did find the loop, I think you can put a lot of pressure on it without breaking anything.

I asked a similar question here some months back as I did not know about the cable. The answer is here:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/43532-996-engine-cover-release-wire/

This what the cable looks like and I have now taped mine under the light fitting. It doesn't take much force when pulled horizontally, but I have noticed that it helps to press the trunk cover down slightly at the same time.

H

• 2 weeks later...