Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Regardless of the brand...

The M1 5w50 I get at any Napa auto parts in California carries the following ratings (meets or exceeds):

ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4

API SN, SM, SL

Porsche A40

MB 229.1/229.3

VW 501.01/505.00

BMW High Perf Diesel Oil

Lexus LFA Service Fill

I am liking it way better than the Castrol 10w40 or 5w50 product when it gets hot.

And no way would I ever use M1 0w40

P.S. better hurry, I think there is a $5.99/qt promotion on M1 right now at Napa auto parts ends 3/31/13. (cheaper than autozone and pep boys promotions here locally)

Edited by logray

Just got them a bout 2 hrs ago. Thanks. However, have a new problem, the oil drain plug is will not accept any wrench, is rounded. Think is made of aluminium. How can I take it out (unscrew) Will be getting a new one tomorrow at Vertex Auto here in Miami.

Although purchased one was wondering if this is convenient.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNET-Oil-Drain-Plug-PORSCHE-911-924-928-944-968-/160680737982?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3APorsche&hash=item2569517cbe&vxp=mtr

Edited by hi8ha

Craftsman has an excellent stripped bolt/nut "removal" kit available (bolt out). Saved me many times.

Worst case you can drop the oil pan (not that hard) and take it to a machine shop, they'll have it out in a jiff.

Resealing the oil pan is not that hard, but you do need to use drei bond from Porsche and use it very very sparingly.

Edited by logray

Thanks. Thought about it but was not sure.Think I may have a Craftman Drill-out power extractor. Need to look for it, too many gadgets in too little space. LOL.

Edited by hi8ha

Did it. Noticed that there was no washer, could that be the reason why it was so hard it got stripped? There is a pinned topic in regards to the stripped oild drain plug. Loren mentions that Porsche has a SS oil drain plug and provided this number: 900.219.015. SS

• Moderators

Did it. Noticed that there was no washer, could that be the reason why it was so hard it got stripped? There is a pinned topic in regards to the stripped oild drain plug. Loren mentions that Porsche has a SS oil drain plug and provided this number: 900.219.015. SS

I would be very circumspect about using a stainless steel plug in an aluminum sump unless you coat it with anti seize every time it is out. Dissimilar metals often have galling or seizure problems, which would require removing the sump cover while the engine is still full of oil; something I have had to do a couple times and can strongly recommend against going there without a good reason (we ended up drilling a drain hole in the sump cover to get the oil out).

Before going SS, I would look at LN Engineering's magnetic drain plug, it is hard anodized aluminum (no dissimilar metals issues) to reduce wear on the hex, also uses a larger sized hex tool to spread the torque load over a larger area, and it has an extremely powerful neodymium magnet that will pick up any ferrous debris in the oil:

newdrain.JPGnewdrain2.JPG

We have had them on customer's cars, as well as my own, for years; show none of the problems the OEM plug has. Great addition to any car.

Got the LN plug. Installed, all OK.

Read on a previous post in this thread that is recommended that the Mobil 1 5W-50 be changed in a shorter interval. Which is the suggested interval for this oil, miles, months?

!!THANKS!!! Will do.

And the transmission oil, at the same interval?

Out of subject but will ask anyways, I don't use the car every day, nor every weekend, much less track it, what break pads would it be recommended, brand, type, etc.

As you may noticed catching up with some maintenance.

Edited by hi8ha

• Moderators

The gearbox is fine at every 30-40K, but use the OEM gear oil when you change it, and be sure to always remove the fill plug on the trans before you take out the drain plug. For the way you use the car, stay with the OEM style pads.