Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Which tires should I get?

looking to replace my Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires on my Boxster. Any good suggestions?

I did get 30K on my Bridgestone Potenza tires. This is my daily driver. 235/35R19 and 265 in the rear. Looking at keeping around $200-250/ tire.

Thanks!

I have a 987S with the same 19" tires sizes. I've only ever used PS2's. Excellent tires. On my 3rd set and about 51,000 miles total. My next set with be Super Sports. Your budget is a little tight for Michelins.

I can usually get about 20 on the rears and double mileage up front.

Is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport New? I was thinking of trying the bridgestone Potenza s-04 pole position.

Yes, the Super Sports are newer. Came out in 2011-ish. As good, or better than PS2's, with better wear and lower cost.

• 4 weeks later...

Depending on your driving habits and needs. If the car is primarily for commuting... you may be able to go with other tires, like the Hankook Ventus EVO v12. I had those on my '08 Boxster S for about 17k miles, including 10+ days of Sebring DE (solo group) and 3 trips from S. FL to North Carolina (1600 RT on HWY) for BRBS + all the shenanigans through the twisty & mountain roads (add'l 500miles on backroads). The set of Hankooks can be had for about 350 - 400 less than a set of Super Sports. Hankook v12's are very good tires for those on a limited tire budget and don't mind giving up some sticky-ness to save some money - I'm not saying the Ventus V12's drive like all-season tires tires, they are not... as I consistently running 2:40's @ Sebring with some traffic.

I recently changed from the Hankooks to the Super Sports because I reason I do spend at around 6 - 8 days a year at the track, and I do take the car up to the mountains each year where I want to get the most out of the tires at these two things I love to do. So, for me, it was worth the additional $400 for the set with the Super Sports. That said, if I'm not focused on DE's or these road trips I'd probably stay with the Hankook's. They are good tires - google them and you'll find good very reviews - and the fact that you can get a set of 19" good tires for about $850 for the set... that's pretty darn good. If you use them primarily for commuting with occasional trips along HWY-1... you will be able to get 30k miles out of them.