Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Strange yellow color underneath

Hello,

I have a strange yellow color underneath my car, just under the oil pan. It looks like cooked oil.

I don't know if it's a normal thing to have on a car or not. My car is new, has no apparent oil leaks; I have never needed to add some oil and I have about 2000 miles on my car.

Maybe this picture would be helpful; you see, all the surface on the picture is yellow and the texture is solid, never been liquid. Should I be worried or is it something normal after the break-in procedure?

Thank you for your comments.post-3260-1110392571.gif

Yes Loren, it looks like a bit the picture you gently posted. I thought it was some oil leak which cooked while I was driving...The coating is not homogeneously spread, it's a bit irregular but roughly covers all the surface of the oil pan. Thank you again for your precious help Loren, you are so devoted to the members of the forum, I admire your dedication.

• Moderators
Like this?

post-2-1110393308_thumb.jpg

This is a protective coating put on the underside of the car by the factory. Doesn't hurt anything - you can take it all off (a lot of work) or leave it as is.

Your underneath should look like this:

engine.jpg

The cosomline will attract dirt, which will make your car heavier, and thus slower.

:eek:

Wow, Orient express your car looks also very impressive underneath!! I see you like things to be very neat. That may be the resason why you and your car won many beauty contests.

:thumbup:

Also, could you please tell me if it is really safe for the underneath of the car to get along without this extra coating please? I mean, don't you fear rust or aggression from salted air, water...when you drive your Carrera?

I live next to the sea shore so, I wonder if it would cause any particular harm. I would really like to get rid of this ugly coating underneath.

Thanks.

Edited by zacharie

• Moderators
Wow, Orient express your car looks also very impressive underneath!! I see you like things to be    very neat. That may be the resason why you and your car won many beauty contests. 

:thumbup:

Also, could you please tell me if it is really safe for the underneath of the car to get along without this extra coating please? I mean, don't you fear rust or aggression from salted air, water...when you drive your Carrera?

I live next to the sea shore so, I wonder if it would cause any particular harm. I would really like to get rid of this ugly coating underneath.

Thanks.

If you live in an area where the roads are salted, or by the sea shore where salt fog and high humidity is a problem, then you may want to consider leaving it on. Areas that have heavy salt fog and high humidity are really tough on aluminum alloy materials like engine and transmissions.

I am lucky that even though I am 20 miles from the ocean, I do not have problems with corrosion.

Orient Express, thanks for your kinf response. You know, I probably made a mistake; well I took off all the coating under the oil pan. Now considering your advice, I'm wondering where I could find a compatible protectant on the market...I'm sometimes so impatient... :D

• Moderators
Orient Express, thanks for your kinf response. You know, I probably made a mistake; well I took off all the coating under the oil pan. Now considering your advice, I'm wondering where I could find a compatible protectant on the market...I'm sometimes so impatient... :D

You will be fine, don't worry about it. If you live in europe, then take your car to Stuttgart to the Porsche dealer over by the factory, and for 60 euros they will spray on a fresh coating.

If you don't want to do that, just hit the underside of the car with a pressure washer every once and a while and that will wash off the grime and dirt accumulations.

• 4 months later...