Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New suspension components

Hi Everyone:

I have a 2000 Carrera 4 which I am very happy with. Trying to do most of the maintenance myself, but I outsource the difficult jobs to a local indie who I trust (at least with other German vehicles). The upcoming jobs are clutch and suspension, both which have not been changed. The car has 65,000 miles on it.

Regarding the clutch, while in there, I'll have them replace the RMS which is leaking a little it seems. After it comes back, I would like to install the 997 shift kit to make things a bit more fun, or at least thats what I've heard.

My question is really about the suspension pieces. I use the car as a daily driver and the roads here in the DC area are TERRIBLE. I also feel that the steering and handling are not as tight as when I purchased the car (second hand). So I wanted to know what people recommend for new suspension pieces and which pieces to replace in particular. There is no tracking involved, nor do I want to lower my car. I just want new components. Any recommendations? I'd like to buy either OEM or something similar, perhaps better.

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

I added the 997 shifter to my 2001 C4, terrific upgrade and an easy DIY. My car has about 51K miles, and the ride quality is quite good, but I wanted a little better handling (less roll), so I just got the ROW M030 sport suspension kit (springs, struts and sway bars). Based on the pricing I have seen, the whole kit doesn't cost much more than replacement shocks and the labor is essentially the same, so I decided to give it a go. I haven't installed it yet, but I'll let you know how it compares to stock after I get in installed.

I got my car with 75,000 miles on it.

I did the lower control arms, lower control arm link, Steering rack tie rod ends and the bearings. It tightened up the front end a whole lot and it was a fairly easy thing to do. Pelican parts has everything you need.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I also thought the ROW M030 option looks like the best option, but I was concerned about whether it drops the car a bit (I heard it does), and whether I really need new sway bars. Any thoughts?

The lowering is marginal ~20mm front, ~10mm rear. Should improve the stance, but nothing dramatic. I decided to outsource the install. Having it done this week, so I will have some real feedback shortly.

I just got my car back with the ROW M030 kit installed. Exactly what I was hoping for in terms of handling and ride. Rear end sway is gone. Cornering is much improved. No appreciable difference in ride comfort. I actually think it's a little better now. It's a little lower, but you'd have to look for it to notice. Bottom line, excellent upgrade.