Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Outside Mirror Problem

Well, another day another problem...

Bought my 03 S about a month ago. Noticed during the test drive the power outside mirrors weren't working right. The only command they would respond to was down. They wouldn't come back up or go left or right. So I figured it was the switch since both mirrors behaved identically.

Got the switch from Sunset for $85...ouch! Plugged it in and both mirrors worked fine.

Went for a drive today and the mirrors won't respond to ANY command. Not up, down , left or right.

Pulled and re-seated the switch, checked the fuse (no fuse guide or puller present, THANKS A LOT PO!, so I had to go to the Bentley), swapped the fuse position B5 with another 7.5 amp fuse and still no go. B5 is backup lights too so I tested those and they are coming on, so I know I have power.

I sure hope I don't have a problem that's killing switches at $85 a pop!

Any ideas or advice?

Thanks guys!

FWIW: One of the other 7.5 amp fuses I pulled must have been the alarm. I used to have turn signal flashes (only) on lock and unlock. Now I have a horn beep too! Guess this is a dealer set option...right?

Edited by tahiles

When you lock the car and hear a single beep, it generally means something isn't fully closed. Often this is the center console lid. It can also be a front or back hood or a door. Try reclosing eveything and see if you still get a beep.

If you get a double beep, that generally indicates something is broken. Figuring out what that might be might require a trip to a dealer or independent shop that has a good diagnoistic computer.

Good info. I was in the console and probably didn't get that closed all the way.

Kind of in a hurry as I had about 30 minutes to do some basic troubleshooting on the mirror problem before I had to get to my office.

Thanks!

• Moderators

Good info. I was in the console and probably didn't get that closed all the way.

Kind of in a hurry as I had about 30 minutes to do some basic troubleshooting on the mirror problem before I had to get to my office.

Thanks!

Your Durametric should also be able read the last ten stored alarm trips and ID their source as well.

Well the console lid was the cause. good catch JFP!

The power mirror switch is receiving the 12V power. I put the meter on the switch and it seems to be distributing the voltage out when the joystick is moved around so that means the power isn't making it to the mirrors.

I went into the door to see if there was a plug there and it seems the power mirror wires just go into the door harness which is fed to the Jamb Plug.

I remember on the earlier Boxsters these Jamb Plugs would sometimes get wet with rain, corrode and cause problems. Don't know if that was still a problem in 03 or not...anyone?

But, in order to inspect inside the plug I'm going to need and 90 degree Torx, like the Allen Wrenches but with a Torx end.

Anyone got any better ideas?

• Moderators

Well the console lid was the cause. good catch JFP!

The power mirror switch is receiving the 12V power. I put the meter on the switch and it seems to be distributing the voltage out when the joystick is moved around so that means the power isn't making it to the mirrors.

I went into the door to see if there was a plug there and it seems the power mirror wires just go into the door harness which is fed to the Jamb Plug.

I remember on the earlier Boxsters these Jamb Plugs would sometimes get wet with rain, corrode and cause problems. Don't know if that was still a problem in 03 or not...anyone?

But, in order to inspect inside the plug I'm going to need and 90 degree Torx, like the Allen Wrenches but with a Torx end.

Anyone got any better ideas?

Might want to look for a Torx socket set (Sears item) in 1/4 or 3/8 drive that can fit into the space:

K-T_22601.jpg

JFP.....

I'm seeking additional input or better ideas in troubleshooting the MIRROR problems................ let's not hijack this into a Durametric discussion......

I know what the Durametric Matrix SAYS it does. I just don't think the console lid was enough of a "violation" to merit a stored code.

BTW: Went to Sears and got a combination 1/4 and 3/8 drive Torx Tamper-Proof Socket Set. So if I run into any Tamper-Proof fasteners I can deal with them too!

• Moderators

JFP.....

I'm seeking additional input or better ideas in troubleshooting the MIRROR problems................ let's not hijack this into a Durametric discussion......

I know what the Durametric Matrix SAYS it does. I just don't think the console lid was enough of a "violation" to merit a stored code.

BTW: Went to Sears and got a combination 1/4 and 3/8 drive Torx Tamper-Proof Socket Set. So if I run into any Tamper-Proof fasteners I can deal with them too!

The OEM service manual set only contains information on how take the mirrors apart, replace the glass, and to test the correct function of the mirror heaters; it has nothing about the motor circuits other than a wiring diagram in the harness section.

Hopefully, someone else has gone this route before............