Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anyone tried a 3M Clear Bra for a 996 ?

I looked around recently for someone who would be able to fit a 3M Scotchguard Clear Bra on my '99 996 Carrera 4 with Aerokit. It took quite a while to find a dealer who had the patterns to cut & fit, but the cost quoted was in excess of $600 which seemed rather high given a stock leather (effect?) aero Bra only costs $150 retail.

Anyone else out there gone down the Clear Bra route ? Is this the price I should expect to pay ? Has anyone found a dealer who will just supply the computer cut pieces for self fitment ? If so, how difficult was the fitting ?

There are a good number of 996 owners with a 3M Clear Bra on their car. It is a very good product and I've had mine on for 14 months with no problems. It hasn't lifted or bubbled or discolored. It has protected the paint and body from damage from numerous track days and freeway miles. I thought of it as an investment as it cost much less than repainting my bumper.

I don't like the look of front masks and you run the risk of damaging the paint. The mask can put fine scratches in the paint as it vibrates while you drive. My Audi's hood had a line across it from this type of action.

I've had Xpel film on 4 cars and I am very happy with the product.

http://xpel.com/

I put the 3M Clearguard on my new C4S and it turned out fantastic. You can see a line across the hood, but it is only visible when very close up. Here is a pic of my car...you can't see any lines. I paid $600 for mine. It was originally $699, but I knew someone who knew someone, and they tinted my windows at a discount too. So, $600 is average. I wouldn't think it's a DIY project though. Have a pro do it who's done many before....just my $.02

post-3721-1110437457_thumb.jpg

Do a search on this (both here and rennlist) since it has been discussed in great detail. YOu will get some great information that route. As for my $.02, I have had it installed on my 996CAB and the one thing EVERYBODY will tell you is this is a mod not to skimp on. Install is the key. I had to get my front GT3 bumper repainted becasue of a little road mishap in the rain recently and am currently in the process of deciding on which kit to get this time. It ranges from $495 for just the front GT3 bumper (full coverage) to $995 which does the hood, fenders, mirrors, rockers, and door edges. I think the $995 pakcage is a bit much so I haven't decided yet. My appt is next Thursday.

I looked around recently for someone who would be able to fit a 3M Scotchguard Clear Bra on my '99 996 Carrera 4 with Aerokit. It took quite a while to find a dealer who had the patterns to cut & fit, but the cost quoted was in excess of $600 which seemed rather high given a stock leather (effect?) aero Bra only costs $150 retail.

Anyone else out there gone down the Clear Bra route ?  Is this the price I should expect to pay ?  Has anyone found a dealer who will just supply the computer cut pieces for self fitment ?  If so, how difficult was the fitting ?

Why do you want to put a 'clear' bra on your car? Let it go, get a chip or two...it gives the car character. You can touch the chips up every now and then...enjoy the car and save your dough for your first RMS repair.

Jim, your take on this is really absurd. Clearbra is personal prefernce like tires, mods, etc. so let it go. If it is done right it is virtually undetectable and there will be NO rock chips nor a need to repaint as you want to do. ONce again, personal choice.

As for your take on what to do with the $$$, and to spend it on a RMS is an extremely pessimistic view on a repair that will probably never happen. Some get it, some don't.

• Upvote 1

As I stated before, my cost was $600...down from $699, but, with this price I got the bumper done, the side mirrors, both fenders, door edges, and rockers. Depending on where you live, you may have a choice of installers whith decent prices. The place I had mine done, just did a CGT, and put it on almost every surface....it looked amazing.

Jim, your take on this is really absurd.  Clearbra is personal prefernce like tires, mods, etc.  so let it go.  If it is done right it is virtually undetectable and there will be NO rock chips nor a need to repaint as you want to do. ONce again, personal choice. 

As for your take on what to do with the $$$, and to spend it on a RMS is an extremely pessimistic view on a repair that will probably never happen.  Some get it, some don't.

I know it is a personal choice...but what I think is most peculiar is the fact that so many p/car owners baby the heck out of their cars and I'll bet if somebody said they could protect their paint by weekly applications of Shinola, somebody out there would take them seriously and an entire cottage industry of Shinola Shiners would develop. You gotta admit, we, as a bunch of car nuts, are a peculiar breed!

I wish I could remember the source of what I read some years ago when Ferry Porsche was asked by the PCA to one of their parades back east. When asked what he thought of all the beautifully maintained and restored P/cars Ferry responded that he thought it was sad that these 'beautiful' cars wern't driven.

You are correct. Some have RMS failures some dont. The truth of the matter is, regardless of the care we take of these wonderful cars, they, like us fail over time, some leak, some rattle, some just die...

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Price is about right. I paid $600 for mine. Installer came to the house and I watched him install and took some pics as well. 2 years later and it still looks perfect. You can see a line across the hood under certai light conditions ( Mine is AS), but unless you are looking for it, it doesn't stand out. PM me if you want some pics. And if you are in the New England area let me know and I'll give you the name, address, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at doing it myself (never succeed if you never try!). Anyway, found this site:

www.mishield.com

Which will sell the pre-cut 3M film based on year / make / model. They list pretty good instructions as well as a difficulty rating for each car. The bumper is not recommended as a DIY.

Cost for 01 996TT is about $450 + shipping

Charles.

Have you ever done a clearbra? Spend the extra couple $100 and have it done right! Trust me this is not something for amatuers to try. It will come out like crap and then you will be out about $500.

Turbo....then you need to clarify that. You stated in you post that you looked at the entire kit for $450 and now say you are just gonig to do the lights? Something's not making sense.

Besides, how this info be useful for others as you state? Those that CAN do it buy their stuff in bulk and don't buy a kit at a time. Those that do will end up trying to save a couple hundred bucks but then have to pay a pro not only for the new one but for the removal of the mistake they made.

• 4 years later...

Price is about right. I paid $600 for mine. Installer came to the house and I watched him install and took some pics as well. 2 years later and it still looks perfect. You can see a line across the hood under certai light conditions ( Mine is AS), but unless you are looking for it, it doesn't stand out. PM me if you want some pics. And if you are in the New England area let me know and I'll give you the name, address, etc.

I live in RI and am interested in getting film on my 996. Could you give me the info for your installer?

hello every one,

this is my first post. My 996 is an exact duplicate of the orient express except his is just a bit cleaner.

I was reading this post since i have been looking to put the clear shield on my 996. Interesting point by jimpdx. I totally agree w him about DRIVING these cars as my 996 is no " pretty garage queen ". However, I dont see a problem in trying to keep them looking their best while doing so..........

Question for jimpdx:

how did Ferry porsche know that those cars weren't driven? is it because they were all looking pretty and clean?

It is possible to remove one of these invisible bras without causing damage to the paint? I bought my '04 Carrera coupe used a few years ago and it came with an invisible bra (not sure which brand) installed. There are marks (I'll describe them as smudge marks) under the film on the hood -- it looks as though the film was perfectly clean when installed. If I could remove this piece of the invisible bra to get rid of the smudge marks I would, but I don't want to turn a small problem into a large problem.

Car color is Basalt Black Metallic, in case that matters.

TIA

Charlie

It is possible to remove one of these invisible bras without causing damage to the paint? I bought my '04 Carrera coupe used a few years ago and it came with an invisible bra (not sure which brand) installed. There are marks (I'll describe them as smudge marks) under the film on the hood -- it looks as though the film was perfectly clean when installed. If I could remove this piece of the invisible bra to get rid of the smudge marks I would, but I don't want to turn a small problem into a large problem.

TIA

Charlie

Your installer can tell you but mine was removed without problem. I think the venture shield brand is the best. Apparently 3m agrees because they bought the company. Good Luck.

I put the 3M Clearguard on my new C4S and it turned out fantastic. You can see a line across the hood, but it is only visible when very close up. Here is a pic of my car...you can't see any lines. I paid $600 for mine. It was originally $699, but I knew someone who knew someone, and they tinted my windows at a discount too. So, $600 is average. I wouldn't think it's a DIY project though. Have a pro do it who's done many before....just my $.02

post-3721-1110437457_thumb.jpg

hey Jp66

On related,

but is that the rare silver, red & black Porsche emblem on your bonnet?

nice look great.

To add my two cents... I added the XPel (which I think is superior to 3M) clear bra to my car this week and am so far happy even though I do have some stone chips and was worried about how everything would look. I'm getting ready to do a DE and didn't feel like the painter's tape route.

I worked w/ an installer here in Atlanta, who does a lot of work for many of the exotic car dealers here in town. Cost for full bumper, 1/2 fender & hood, and side mirrors ran a little less than $600. The same install at the dealer was quoted at over $1000! Also, if you're thinking of doing this yourself, I would think twice. I watched this guy do it and while I'm pretty sure I could get most of it done properly, the parts around the curves and corners takes some finesse!

TIA

Charlie

Modavi,

Yes, it is pretty easy to remove these. A little heat and patience and you can remove it. On my 997 TT the dealer had installed the clear bra and I thought the line across the hood looked like crap, so I had them remove the entire bra etc.. Then realized that they missed a piece. I used a heat gun on low, but a hair dryer would suffice. I peeled it slowly, then washed and waxed it....Can't tell it was ever there.

Color really should not matter, but mine is the same color as yours......

Good luck!

DC