Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Suggestion for replacement pcm/gps/cd/dvd/radio in 05 CTT w Bose

My system is acting up and while I am trying to find root cause, I wonder if you can help me get info on what today seems to be a good way to go when replacing the factory setup.
My car is 05 CTT with Bose option fiber optic cable
I would like to retain use of steering wheel controls.
Would like to know:
1. Make/model of unit that will give touch GPS, radio/cd/dvd/bluetooth, connection to my android phone, etc
2. Name of kit that will make a clean face install (if needed) - to look good
3. any kit that will be needed for retain of use of steering wheel controls
4. anything else that I would need with the unit if choosing to go this way.
Not looking for latest/gratest, as I do not have 2K to play with. So cheaper is good, good balance being best. Maybe between 600-800 or cheaper if possible.
Looking as much as possible to be plug N play (with fiber connections)
Really appreciate your help in advance.
Edited by ciaka

Hi

With the MOST optical system your only real options are

1) use a Denison or mobridge to hook you phone in, both have pros and cons, I have both, one in each car and they both have things that are good and things that suck.

2) use the nav tv Mosthur device, nav tv dont give much away on their website, and it only supports a few head units.

Alternatively you replace head unit and use one of the can bus interfaces to maintain steering wheel controls and ditch the Bose amp.

Keep in mind though that the Bose system runs on 2 ohm speakers so you either need new speakers or amps that will drive at 2 ohms.

Fortunately most good amps alpine etc can drive 2 ohms.

You are going to really struggle to do any of the above on your budget.

Best of luck.

Cheers

DS

Edited by darrinsmith

http://www.navtv.com/userfiles/editor/file/Porsche%20MOST%20Radio%20Replacement%20v2_2.pdf

It's a start, that way you can keep your amp and speakers. If you have Bose, I believe they use an odd proprietary resistance which is hard to match. I think if you do a search on here and Rennlist you will find a few that have done the head unit before.

+1 to Hahnmgh63.

Here's the link to the unit.

http://navtv.com/product/218/most-hur-955.html?forceShowProduct=1

Note the last point (infrared steering wheel commands to Kenwood or Alpine (only) aftermarket radios).

So you'll need a suitable kenwood or alpine head unit budget about $1K I guess cheaper if you shop around.

So probably about $1,600 all up if you DIY.

The main issues I've head with installing these is just getting the config file correct for the head unit, and something to do with the volume settings for the BOSE amp.

I was seriously considering one as I have the older CD based unit and Porsche Australia aren't making any more NAV updates for it. (Last one was in 2008), but it's a lot of $$ to spend just for the NAV function.

Cheers

DS

Updated info:
I seem to have fixed my PCM issues, but still will be looking for info on upgrading to aftermarket. Unbelievably, I unplugged all connections and replugged them all but the fiber connection. No audio (as expected). Brought the FO conn. near the transceiver on back of head unit, and audio was fine...so were all other functions, nothing rebooting, etc. Clicked it in gently as the last connection. No issues since.
Happy, but we will see how long this lasts....still contemplating doing install if it fails again.
Did a whole bunch of reading and got the below info...
So far have the following to get ahead of any install. Feel free to complement this list to ensure it is complete:
1. Pioneer AVIC-Z150BH (best price found was $830 shipped)
2. Cayenne Double DIN Dash Kit (best price I found was $69 shipped from eBay
3. Nav-TV MOST-HUR kit - CLICK HERE FOR INFO- best price found $500
4. Metra Axxess ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface - best price found $45 eBay
5. USB cable for my Android Phone (or for iPhone if you have it) - best price $50 for iPhone. Not sure if need a special cable or if a normal miniUSB to USB cable will be ok.
6. Back up camera ....saw something like this- $35 shipped
#1 will give me dvd/cd/gps/blue tooth/interface to cell - S GS2, etc
#2 will give proper finish to the install (to look OEM)
#3 will allow to keep the oem amplifier, oem speakers and wiring. Just plug in the cables from car (harness) into module and plug in cables from new head unit into module (at least that is what I assume based on reading)
#4 will allow to continue use of steering wheel controls after install
#5 will allow to connect my Galaxy S2 to the head unit and use via the display on unit, or BT connect for sons/vid, etc
#6 will give ability to have rear facing backup camera to see stuff behind the car when reversing.
..this will be my fall back plan so I do not forget that one day when the PCM fails again (maybe).
Edited by ciaka