Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Foam rubber piece in air box deteriorated ?

When I removed my air box today in my 2002 996 C2 I noticed foam rubber inside. Closer inspection revealed that there is a small piece of foam rubber that sits in a small plastic frame within the air box as shown below. It was all falling apart so i cleaned it all out. Does this need to be there ? Should I replace it , as I'm not sure what it actually does, except make a mess. Can anyone advise ? Thanks Davepost-14475-0-37870300-1369131416_thumb.j

I'm not completely sure on the 996 but I would think that it's there for noise dampening. A lot of intakes have foam in them to decrease the amount of sound coming out of them. So if you see no other reason for it to be there and you like the sound, I would say don't worry about it.

Jermmy

Thanks, but I seriously doubt it's for " noise dampening " the foam was about a half of an inch thick at the most, and nothing behind except the plastic of the air box, I must admit I can't figure out WHY Porsche would put it there,or if it has anything to do with a sensor or something ?

Plus the fact that the small frame it is in was held down with 6 screws? I think It's for something else ? Look close at the area in photo,(original post above) the area within the air box, notice it has "steps" in it at 3 levels. Does anyone else know what this mysterious small piece of foam is doing in this frame in the air box ? What is it's function :help: Again it's a 2002 911/996 C2 , thanks, very much for the info, Dave .

I noticed the same thing on my 03. I replaced the foam with some foam from a hobby shop and cut it out with scissors. You could also order a brand new air cleaner assembly (with a filter) for under a $100. I was shocked that a replacement cost that little but that is what my local dealer told me when I called trying to buy that foam that was falling apart and making the air filter dirty. I hope that helps.

Thanks a lot ! I will probably do the same as you did, but I still cannot figure what it's purpose is ??? There is nothing wrong with the air box so why spend $100.00 on a new one just for that little piece of foam rubber. Loren has a 2002 996, perhaps he , or someone else knows what that does, or if it's even needed ? It's a mystery :cursing: Loren help !!! Thanks Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought this was related to very dusty/sandy environments where you wouldn't need to worry about water drainage. Or maybe I am thinking of a different airbox component.

That was what I thought it was for also. The funny thing is mine was in such bad shape that it was making dust and dirt and made my air filter dirty.