Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi Just picked up my new 991 S4. Love it ! I'm thinking of putting on a clear bra for the bumper,partial hood, mirrors and fenders. Because I'm concerned about pebbles on the highway.I'm more concerned with the paint fadding in time. Does anyone have pluses or minuses ?

thanks PMG

Hi PM. I use 3M ScotchGard paint protection film on all my cars. I have never noticed any paint color change or deterioration under the film. I started out replacing... you guessed it. Stone guards on the flanks of Turbos. I would not start out doing a complex form such as a bumper. The front of your hood is a good place to start. If you are not patient I would spend the money and get a pro to do it. You do not have to ruin much of this stuff before the pro becomes more cost effective. I now have Autobaun do the initial install and I just do the repair work. The only down side I have ever seen is that regardless of what anyone tells you, the film yellows over time. This is only a problem on a white car. It is not bad enough that most people would notice it.

Edited by Mijostyn

I had a partial front done on our Panamera. The wife hated it, because no matter how careful you are eventually the edges will become easy to see. Numerous times people would comment on the bad "scratches" on her car (black). This is not an issue if you do entire panels as the edges are mostly hidden. On my new C4S, I'm having the whole from clip done.

As far as performance, it works as advertised. No issues with chips at all on the Panamera, and on a Cayenne TT with >105K miles, mostly crowded-highway miles, it still looks pretty good.

Yes, Jason that is generic. The light cars show up black road grime at the edges, the black cars wax and paint sealer. Just take a nylon bristle tooth brush and using Meguir's #34 as a lube gently scrub the edges AFTER you have washed the car. It won't get rid of it entirely but it will take most of the curse off it. It sure beats a chipped up car.

I too have run many clear bras on several of my cars over the past 10+ years. On my 08C2S, I've had it on for several years and it is almost invisible taken care of properly as Mijostyn mentioned above. I did not however put the clear film on the hood as i don't like the "line" from side to side. Do i have a couple of small chips on my hood, yes, but putting the film on the front bumper will capture 90% of the flying crap. I also had the installer put the clear film on my blinkers and headlight lense which is completely invisible. I watched them install the film and although I am pretty mechanically inclined, I don't think I'd try the film install myself.

Don't hesitate, get it! BTW, cost was about $400 to $500 but definitely cheaper than a re-paint that may not match.

The trick with the hood is to put a 4 foot radius curve in the upper edge. It is harder for the eye to follow and when you see it it still looks better. I blend the curve in with the fender film on either side then run the film over and around the front edge and down the sides so you see no edges at all at the front and sides. For some reason Meguiar's Ultimate paint sealer is better at hiding the visible edges better than anything else I have tried. Companies like ClearMask frequently give you hood film that has a cut out for the emblem and stops at the hood's edges. Get them to sell you the kit without the hood piece and make your own from bulk product. Take the hood emblem off and re mount it over the film. Here in New Hampshire Autobaun does a great job.

• 3 months later...