Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Swap 5 Speed into Boxster S ?

Sorry if this has been discussed, the search wasn't working for me. Anyone done this swap?

I don't like the 1st to 2nd shift problems and from what I understand it's about impossible to make the go away 100%.

So.....I'm not a track guy and I don't need to keep the car at 6500 RPM coming out of turn three.....all I need is smooth easy shifting and the ability to hit 2nd gear hard when I feel like dusting off the kid in the Civic.

What parts other than the tranny would I need?

• Moderators

Sorry if this has been discussed, the search wasn't working for me. Anyone done this swap?

I don't like the 1st to 2nd shift problems and from what I understand it's about impossible to make the go away 100%.

So.....I'm not a track guy and I don't need to keep the car at 6500 RPM coming out of turn three.....all I need is smooth easy shifting and the ability to hit 2nd gear hard when I feel like dusting off the kid in the Civic.

What parts other than the tranny would I need?

Half shafts are different as well, as are the rear hubs, carriers, and ebrake assemblies.

2nd gear problems, grinding etc are WELL documented on all 6 speeds. The gears do not align perfectly until the car has warmed up and the gearbox has received some heat transferred from the engine block.

There are no known permanent fixes for these problems. Even a costly rebuild will only lessen the problems for a while.

A gear detent from G Box is a band-aid for a bullet hole.

My next Boxster/Cayman will be a 09 or newer with PDK.

No 2nd gear problems, no RMS problems, no IMS problems. Minus those alone are almost worth the price of admission...............

• Moderators

2nd gear problems, grinding etc are WELL documented on all 6 speeds. The gears do not align perfectly until the car has warmed up and the gearbox has received some heat transferred from the engine block.

There are no known permanent fixes for these problems. Even a costly rebuild will only lessen the problems for a while.

A gear detent from G Box is a band-aid for a bullet hole.

My next Boxster/Cayman will be a 09 or newer with PDK.

No 2nd gear problems, no RMS problems, no IMS problems. Minus those alone are almost worth the price of admission...............

Don't know about that; I've driven a couple of Gbox fully rebuilt transmissions, and they 1-2 shifted fine, cold or warmed up. Granted, not cheap; but I would bet it would be less than the cost of going to a five speed, not including the hit the price of the car would take.

Yeah I thought about that. I think a Boxster S with a 5 speed might be a pretty hard sale.

I'd like to sell the car right now but I'm afraid of the uninformed buyer who thinks a small 2nd gear grind when cold means the tranny is screwed. All it means is that it's a 6 speed Boxster with 70K on the clock. Quite typical.

If I was keeping the car I'd definately look into the G Box Rebuild. Any idea how much their "typical" customer lays out?

• Moderators

Yeah I thought about that. I think a Boxster S with a 5 speed might be a pretty hard sale.

I'd like to sell the car right now but I'm afraid of the uninformed buyer who thinks a small 2nd gear grind when cold means the tranny is screwed. All it means is that it's a 6 speed Boxster with 70K on the clock. Quite typical.

If I was keeping the car I'd definately look into the G Box Rebuild. Any idea how much their "typical" customer lays out?

Depends upon what they find when they examine the innards of the transmission; recent overhaul on a six speed out of a Turbo ran $4,500, but the gear box was right when it was finished.

Well the $4500 might be a little easier to swallow if the car is worth $45K.

It's a completely different matter on a 03 Boxster S worth 20 ~ 25K (on a good day!)

I's NEVER see the $4500 back...........

Also it's not like the tranny is toast and I HAVE to do something.

Edited by tahiles

• Moderators

Well the $4500 might be a little easier to swallow if the car is worth $45K.

It's a completely different matter on a 03 Boxster S worth 20 ~ 25K (on a good day!)

I's NEVER see the $4500 back...........

Also it's not like the tranny is toast and I HAVE to do something.

Another option is to call Gbox and discuss your exact problem(s); the $4,500 gearbox probably needed a lot of work, yours may not.

And you should not be focusing on if a repair is recoverable at sale, they often never are; but you also need to recognize the potential reduction in value a bad transmission will have at sale time. If we get a car in for PPI with wonky gear box, we automatically assume the potential "pull and repair" cost as a "deduct" from the asking price........

Gbox labor is $1,000 for a rebuild (could be a little more if extensive work is needed). The rest is going to be parts. $4,500 gearbox was $3,000 in parts, $1,200 labor and $300 shipping (one way). Gearbox now is very sharp, practically brand new. Stan (the owner) is very knowledgable and should be able to tell you a lot if you just have a conversation with him. I think he's been working on Porsche gearboxes for something like 25 or 30 years.