Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Stumped, where to start...Electrical?

Long time away from the forum, which is a good thing, meaning that I have had no issues with the box, except for the P0400 and P1411 codes, but I have that under control. Until the other day........

I went to put the top down and nothing... Looked at all the fuses listed in the repair manual (B3 and D6 i think). All seemed to be good. Then I went through and read all the parts of this forum that dealt with top problems and was going to do some further investigation this weekend, like checking the microswitches at the roof and b pillar, but when I checked the fuses after I was finished, started the car and the CEL was off (was on previously) and the brake indicator on the dash was not illuminated when the brake was on. It was visible previously. Checked with my ODB 2 and the codes mentioned above were still there in memory. And today, after work, started mycar to come home, and it was like the battery had drained some, meaning that the milage had reset to 0 on the trip meter. All lights on the dash are on when the ignition is on, prior to starting, meaning no bulbs are burned out.

Seems very suspect to me that the CEL and brake indicator stopped working at the same time. I really have no clue where to start and electrical is definitely not my favorate thing to mess with, other than fuses.

If my battery is weak, could this cause some of my problems? Don't have the bucks to go to a stealership at the present, so any advice or guidance that anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

On my 996, there's a microswitch benealth the handbrake to detect its position. I would think yours is similar so maybe the connection or that switch is not working. Oh yea, definitely check the battery's health and make sure the battery cables are not loose. It's possible the battery is so low that the ECU got reset which also reset the CEL (but the stored codes remained in teh non-volatile memory). The CEL should come back later when the fault triggering logic is met again (may take multiple drives).

Edited by Ahsai

..., started the car and the CEL was off (was on previously) and the brake indicator on the dash was not illuminated when the brake was on. It was visible previously....

On a 986, if pulling up on the handbrake does not illuminate the idiot light on the dashboard, there will be no power to the convertible top mechanism.

As the link provided by Ahsai shows, either clean the contacts on the microswitch under the handbrake or replace it.

Sometimes if you keep pulling up and down on the handbrake with varying degrees of force, it will free up the switch and the idiot light will go on. When that happens, you will again have power to the top.

Regards, Maurice.

..., started the car and the CEL was off (was on previously) and the brake indicator on the dash was not illuminated when the brake was on. It was visible previously....

On a 986, if pulling up on the handbrake does not illuminate the idiot light on the dashboard, there will be no power to the convertible top mechanism. As the link provided by Ahsai shows, either clean the contacts on the microswitch under the handbrake or replace it. Sometimes if you keep pulling up and down on the handbrake with varying degrees of force, it will free up the switch and the idiot light will go on. When that happens, you will again have power to the top. Regards, Maurice.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense, Maurice. So it's a safety feature to make sure the handbrake is on before the car supplies power to the Top. Clever. Edited by Ahsai