Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New 2000 in the Garage. Things to do!

Hello I drove home my new 2000 996 hardtop. Wow I love the car. This is the first car I have ever owned and it’s amazing I have always driven SUV's. I am starting a list of things that I need to fix and do, and I would like your opinion on what I should do and use. I'm not sure how it was maintained before, but it looks to be very well maintained but who really knows, I would like to do a few things but I’m not sure what fluids would be recommended and where I can get them, I’m not sure if Advanced Auto or Pep Boys would carry something I can use. Well here is my list of little things in no particular order plus a few big things.

As always thanks for your opinion.

New floor mats and trunk mat. (I'm looking at Porsche OEM mats and a Lloyd trunk mat)Remove old tints.Install new tints.A Second key with working remote.Fix the 1st key to remote lock and unlock car.Clean up head lights.Change antifreeze.Change brake fluid.IMS bearing. Just in case.Change 12 volt power outlet. On order!Replace air filter.Replace cabin filter.Change oil and filter.

I think the window motor on the passenger side has seen better days, I think that will be at the top of the todo list soon, it’s making noise and the window does not go down very far when you open the door and it hits the molding.

I'm a big fan of OE fluids. Antifreeze $30/gal from Sunset Porsche. OE manual transmission fluid 3L not too expensive either.

Brake fluid ATE gold 200 is good enough for street driving. Power steering fluid Pentosin CHF 202. Engine oil I like Motul 8100 xcess 5w-40

Re the window, are you sure it's the motor and not the regulator?

I'm a big fan of OE fluids. Antifreeze $30/gal from Sunset Porsche. OE manual transmission fluid 3L not too expensive either.Brake fluid ATE gold 200 is good enough for street driving. Power steering fluid Pentosin CHF 202. Engine oil I like Motul 8100 xcess 5w-40Re the window, are you sure it's the motor and not the regulator?

I think when ever possible one should use what the OEM uses. the way I look at it. if the OEM part lasted 10 years then I guess I will get another 10 years of a new OEM part. Of course if there is a problem with the OEM part and they aftermarket has a fix for it then go aftermarket.

Thanks.

I think it's the regulator but I thought it came with the motor.

I'm a big fan of OE fluids. Antifreeze $30/gal from Sunset Porsche. OE manual transmission fluid 3L not too expensive either.Brake fluid ATE gold 200 is good enough for street driving. Power steering fluid Pentosin CHF 202. Engine oil I like Motul 8100 xcess 5w-40Re the window, are you sure it's the motor and not the regulator?

I think when ever possible one should use what the OEM uses. the way I look at it. if the OEM part lasted 10 years then I guess I will get another 10 years of a new OEM part. Of course if there is a problem with the OEM part and they aftermarket has a fix for it then go aftermarket. Thanks. I think it's the regulator but I thought it came with the motor.
Good you have the right thinking. You had me worried when you mentioned pepboys :)No, the motor is a seperate part which is like $400+

Congratulations! You didn't state the mileage, but for model year 2000, the spark plugs should be changed every 45k miles. While you're in there you should change the tubes and O-rings as well.

I think you're going to be surprized how expensive it is to get a second key with working remote.

Edited by wyovino

I think when ever possible one should use what the OEM uses. the way I look at it. if the OEM part lasted 10 years then I guess I will get another 10 years of a new OEM part. Of course if there is a problem with the OEM part and they aftermarket has a fix for it then go aftermarket. Thanks. I think it's the regulator but I thought it came with the motor.
Good you have the right thinking. You had me worried when you mentioned pepboys :)No, the motor is a separate part which is like $400+

I would like to find a local shop to give my business too, I don't like to order everything via the Internet. I need to start looking for a few local shops to buy supplies. I have seen online the prices for the regulator, I will be getting that soon. Oh I have a questions. when I open the passenger side door the glass does not go down the 10MM or so the glass hits the top of the rain channel, could that be caused by the bad regulator?

Good you have the right thinking. You had me worried when you mentioned pepboys :)No, the motor is a separate part which is like $400+

I would like to find a local shop to give my business too, I don't like to order everything via the Internet. I need to start looking for a few local shops to buy supplies. I have seen online the prices for the regulator, I will be getting that soon. Oh I have a questions. when I open the passenger side door the glass does not go down the 10MM or so the glass hits the top of the rain channel, could that be caused by the bad regulator?

Not sure. Maybe someone else can chime in. I think there's a micro-switch behind the door handle (inside the door) that activatse the lowering feature when the door handle is pulled. At least that's how I think it works.

Congratulations! You didn't state the mileage, but for model year 2000, the spark plugs should be changed every 45k miles. While you're in there you should change the tubes and O-rings as well.I think you're going to be surprized how expensive it is to get a second key with working remote.

It has 61500 or so miles on it now. Adding plugs to my list. what are the tubes and O-rings. Remember new to Porsche's.

Yes I have seen how much keys are. but I have to have one good working key. Plus its a Porsche you want to play you have to pay.

Not sure. Maybe someone else can chime in. I think there's a micro-switch behind the door handle (inside the door) that activates the lowering feature when the door handle is pulled. At least that's how I think it works.

Yes I did read about that, I think I will look into the micro switch when I replace the regulator.

I fitted a magnetic oil drain plug in my 996, which was also my first Porcshe. I thought it might help in giving an early indication of IMS bearing failure. I also changed the coolant header tank and AOS (Air Oil Separator). An oil and filter change is easy and about the easiest of any car I have ever owned. Air filter is easy too and give the throttle body a clean up at the same time. Put in a decent battery with a CCA of about 800A. There's a good thread here on battery replacement.

Happy driving. I smile whenever I get in my 996.

H