Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coil Updated Again - Now Version "20"

My dealer just replaced all 8 of my ignition coils at no cost to me as a result of a check engine light coil fault code. And it turns out the coils now have an updated part number - 948 602 104 20. Most recently ended in "09". Maybe the big gap in numbers means they finally figured it out! Needless to say, my engine is purring like a kitty with all new coils and recently new spark plugs.

Since the coils have been such a source of drama for Cayenne owners, I've attached a pdf of a Beru publication providing all of the information (and more) that you'd ever want to know about these coils. Enjoy!

Beru Porsche Coils.pdf

Edited by spooltime
  • Upvote 1

My dealer just replaced all 8 of my ignition coils at no cost to me as a result of a check engine light coil fault code. And it turns out the coils now have an updated part number - 948 602 104 20. Most recently ended in "09". Maybe the big gap in numbers means they finally figured it out! Needless to say, my engine is purring like a kitty with all new coils and recently new spark plugs. Since the coils have been such a source of drama for Cayenne owners, I've attached a pdf of a Beru publication providing all of the information (and more) that you'd ever want to know about these coils. Enjoy!

How did you get the upgrade for free from the dealer?!

• Admin

My dealer just replaced all 8 of my ignition coils at no cost to me as a result of a check engine light coil fault code. And it turns out the coils now have an updated part number - 948 602 104 20. Most recently ended in "09". Maybe the big gap in numbers means they finally figured it out! Needless to say, my engine is purring like a kitty with all new coils and recently new spark plugs. Since the coils have been such a source of drama for Cayenne owners, I've attached a pdf of a Beru publication providing all of the information (and more) that you'd ever want to know about these coils. Enjoy!

Likely based on service history and "asking". Either Porsche and/or the dealer have to pay for "warranty" work.

Likely based on service history and "asking". Either Porsche and/or the dealer have to pay for "warranty" work.
I was assuming his car was out of warranty. I may have assumed wrong.

• Admin

Depending on service history it could still be under previous repair warranty or the car has a history of the same problem.

Depending on service history it could still be under previous repair warranty or the car has a history of the same problem.
Yeah that's why I was curious exactly how he got them. I bought an 05 a little while ago from an anal owner and he paid for all the "fixes" right when they came out even if the car didn't show it needed them. I believe he got coils I need to go check the service papers he gave me. Cars been acting up a little here and there and was thinking about changing coils and spark plugs.

My CTTS is most definitely out of warranty (74K). As the vehicle is new to me within the last four months, it has been to the dealer three times, including a major service right after I bought it to bring it back up maximum function, repair of the transmission gear display on the dash (discussed on this forum elsewhere), and most recently to diagnose and repair a defective air line. When I bought it, I did so relying pretty much on the service history displayed on Carfax since service records weren't available, but the vehicle was in pristine condition.

As I picked it up after the most recent repair, the check engine light came on when I started it up. My service writer was standing right next to me when it happened and I think maybe they were embarrassed that my newly repaired vehicle came out of the shop with a check engine light displayed. They immediately took it back in and came out a while later with the diagnosis of two defective coils. Whether precisely true or not, my service writer told me the coils had been upgraded again to the "20" part number I mentioned above and said they were warrantied up to 100K npw so they would replace all of them while I waited. I don't know if the vehicle had previous coil replacements or not, but I do remember asking them to check them when they changed the plugs during the major service. Obviously, I was happy to wait while they replaced all of the coils.

I haven't bothered to remove the design covers yet and confirm that they did replace all of them (I'm certain they did, though), and the warranty repair receipt I received reflected the same. Whether it was a good will gesture or not, my dealer has really been first rate in the service they've provided my vehicle. They've earned my loyalty, and with the new coils, the engine is running the best it's ever has since I bought it back in March. My suggestion for anyone having coil issues is to inquire whether Porsche NA is warrantying them up to 100K now and insist on the "20" part number coils.

My CTTS is most definitely out of warranty (74K). As the vehicle is new to me within the last four months, it has been to the dealer three times, including a major service right after I bought it to bring it back up maximum function, repair of the transmission gear display on the dash (discussed on this forum elsewhere), and most recently to diagnose and repair a defective air line. When I bought it, I did so relying pretty much on the service history displayed on Carfax since service records weren't available, but the vehicle was in pristine condition. As I picked it up after the most recent repair, the check engine light came on when I started it up. My service writer was standing right next to me when it happened and I think maybe they were embarrassed that my newly repaired vehicle came out of the shop with a check engine light displayed. They immediately took it back in and came out a while later with the diagnosis of two defective coils. Whether precisely true or not, my service writer told me the coils had been upgraded again to the "20" part number I mentioned above and said they were warrantied up to 100K npw so they would replace all of them while I waited. I don't know if the vehicle had previous coil replacements or not, but I do remember asking them to check them when they changed the plugs during the major service. Obviously, I was happy to wait while they replaced all of the coils. I haven't bothered to remove the design covers yet and confirm that they did replace all of them (I'm certain they did, though), and the warranty repair receipt I received reflected the same. Whether it was a good will gesture or not, my dealer has really been first rate in the service they've provided my vehicle. They've earned my loyalty, and with the new coils, the engine is running the best it's ever has since I bought it back in March. My suggestion for anyone having coil issues is to inquire whether Porsche NA is warrantying them up to 100K now and insist on the "20" part number coils.

Good stuff! Here in the near future I'm going to do a major service to the car myself (save big $$). Coils is on my list. I'll have to go into the previous owners repair services and see if the coils were ever changed. Thanks for the info!

• 4 weeks later...

is it the last updated coil or they well release newer after few months

my coils have crack on them so should I upgrade or wait until I get misfire codes

also I visited beru website and they have this part number is it the same part 0040 102 012 or the Porsche part is different