Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Transmission half shaft leak

The drivers side half shaft on my 997.1 just started to leak. I thought that there was a thread on replacing the seal but can't find it. So I need help finding it or in the alternative helping out on the basic R&R procedure. Thanks in advance.

Hey Uwon, you washing your transmission with 3200 psi ;-)After releasing the 1/2 shaft from the transmission you just pop the old seal out from the center hole with a big screw driver or pry bar. Unfortunately, like most things Porsche, there is a special tool for installing the new seal. The seal fits onto the tool by the center hole against a land which supports the seal evenly as you tap it in place. Coat the seal with Vaseline before installation. If you are careful, you can stick the seal to a flat metal plate with Vaseline, center the seal in its seat and tap the plate to press it in. Alternatively, if you have a friend with a wood lath you could turn a wooden replica of the tool from a very dense hardwood such as rock maple but you will have to know the internal diameter of the seal's center hole to do this. This can be easily measured with calipers on the new seal. After you use your fancy wooden seal press, soak it overnight in Watco, let it air dry for 30 days and you will have a very sturdy, permanent tool.JFP or Loren might also know of an inexpensive aftermarket alternative.

Edited by Mijostyn

Mijostyn, I figured that somebody would make a s*******s comment about seals and power washers ....LOL :-)

Thanks for your advice. I'm sure that I can get a PVC pipe or something that will mate the seal properly for pressing (JFP found one for the RMS as I recall so I will find something similar).

Looking at PET figure 305-00, there is a circlip 997-332-249-01 that I presumed was in the way of pulling the half shaft flange out. From what you are telling me this is not an issue presumably because its OD is smaller than the seal ID, right?

Cheers.....

The circlip fits in a groove on the shaft of the halfshaft flange. It takes up any slack in the fit and centers the shaft in its hole. You always replace it whenever you pull the flange out of the transaxle. It usually comes with the seal as a kit. Just pull the flange out and when you are done with the seal, replace the clip and slide the flange carefully back in. A little Vaseline never hurts. If you use a PVC pipe make sure the end is cut perfectly square and flat. On the other end you can cement a cap so, you can apply your taps dead center.You cool with removing the 1/2 shaft? You have to be careful not to ding it. If you have some old garden hose you can cut it to length to fit then slice it open length wise and pop it around the shaft then you can rock and roll without a care in the world. You got all the torque specs?

Edited by Mijostyn

Ordered seals for both sides. Note that the seals are different, one being 70mm and the other side being 68mm. Go figure!

This is a regular stocked item at Phaff Porsche in Toronto. Now the circlips are not stocked ( in fact they a re a special order) as they are not generally replaced according to my source in the parts department.

That is interesting. My manual says to replace them. JFP, Loren any thoughts on this? Porsche routinely wants you to replace hardware when an assembly is reconstructed but I know a lot of mechanics reuse it to save money. That circlip is subject to wear as the flange slides in and out of the dif with suspension action.

If it is not broke, don't fix it. I would leave the good seal alone. It is one thing if you are into an assembly already but changing the good seal effectively doubles the job and the risk, like dropping the flange and damaging the splined shaft.

As an example, you have to remove the flange to replace the seal, so why not replace the circlip while you have it out?

Edited by Mijostyn

• Moderators

That is interesting. My manual says to replace them. JFP, Loren any thoughts on this? Porsche routinely wants you to replace hardware when an assembly is reconstructed but I know a lot of mechanics reuse it to save money. That circlip is subject to wear as the flange slides in and out of the dif with suspension action.If it is not broke, don't fix it. I would leave the good seal alone. It is one thing if you are into an assembly already but changing the good seal effectively doubles the job and the risk, like dropping the flange and damaging the splined shaft.As an example, you have to remove the flange to replace the seal, so why not replace the circlip while you have it out?

The clips are a wear item and should be replaced.

• Admin

That is interesting. My manual says to replace them. JFP, Loren any thoughts on this? Porsche routinely wants you to replace hardware when an assembly is reconstructed but I know a lot of mechanics reuse it to save money. That circlip is subject to wear as the flange slides in and out of the dif with suspension action.If it is not broke, don't fix it. I would leave the good seal alone. It is one thing if you are into an assembly already but changing the good seal effectively doubles the job and the risk, like dropping the flange and damaging the splined shaft.As an example, you have to remove the flange to replace the seal, so why not replace the circlip while you have it out?

The clips are a wear item and should be replaced.

I agree - replace the clips.

Thanks JFP and Loren. Duly noted. BTW, I'm only replacing the leaking side and keeping the seal for other side as insurance. Thanks for chiming in.

Cheers.....

Great minds think alike!

Don't scrape your knuckles and have a good time with the B Bop Tango (for you young squirts that is Frank Zappa's admonision for us to dance, and enjoy life! Check it out, Live at the Roxy and Elsewhere. There is a song in there that is dedicated to Wendelin Wiedeking called Cheapness.)

Could not stand the intermittent oil leak while waiting for the circlip to arrive so I went ahead and pull the driver's side (68mm) seal out to have a look-see.

post-80157-0-43910900-1375354266_thumb.j

New seal at left with additional rubber collar. Old original (I think) to the right.

post-80157-0-68974200-1375354333_thumb.j

Half shaft, note one shiny rear spot on circlip.

post-80157-0-55240000-1375354335_thumb.j

Other side of half shaft, second small shiny wear spot.

post-80157-0-00824100-1375354338_thumb.j

Make-shift seal centering and tapping tool- 2" female outside ABS coupling with one end ground down slightly to fit the 68mm seal seat (no grinding would be required for the right side 70mm seal seat), plus an ABS end cap to tap it in.

Since the circlip was not worn save for the two spots above, I decided to reassemble. If the right seal ever goes, I'll go in and replace the circlip at that time.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Cheers.....