Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cost to remap too $$$$ on 2000 986 S

After dropping $3k on new exhaust and O2 sensors, is it just me, or does $800 - $900 to remap the ECU seem way too expensive? Unfortunately, I may be forced down that road due to new aftermarket exhaust causing CEL codes (and I already cleaned the MAF sensor). I have checked and reset CEL codes, and same (O2) codes keep coming back.

Any suggestions (I am aware the P's garage out of FL is less expensive if I ship ECU to them)?

Thx

CELs via the O2 sensors are very commonly triggered with aftermarket exhausts (think high-flow, etc). Many of these ECU flashes try to "defeat" this by either turning those sensors off or making them send "dummy" values that appear good.

Just note that remapping the ECU is not a perfect answer to the problems you're having and it will make passing state emissions difficult. You certainly would need to get software updates as they update the Emissions software in most states pretty regularly. For these reasons, I am not a big fan of these mod tunes, and would always stick with stock (for a car that I wanted to be able to legally use on the street anyway).

Also, I don't understand why you would ship your ECU to have it flashed. It only takes 3 minutes to do and with most of them they just hookup a laptop with the software to your vehicle or a PIWIS can do it. If you're paying that much it must be to buy the rights to use that tune, not for the labor to install it.

Had a friend with a highly tuned/mod'ed 986 and it took him a month and multiple dyno runs, then street drives, then reflash, etc before he got everything right. Right being defined as passing emissions, decent mileage, street friendly, race track capable, etc. Every tune would throw something off and it was trial and error.

And especially with CA's testing, you want it done right.

The real problem is that "getting it right" is going to be a moving target. In my state they are pretty serious about emissions. As Mike alluded to, I've also heard CA is very tough on emissions (one of the toughest). My state bought the OBD2 emissions software from a vendor who, when I researched them, apparently provides the software for a number of other states. They update their software to try to catch the new "defeats".

I've seen a situation where a car had an aftermarket tune on it and would not pass emissions because of "o2 sensor readiness". The really odd thing was that all the checks were coming up as PASS in both Durametric and PIWIS....but showing as FAIL in the state's OBD2 software. As soon as the aftermarket flash was taken off and it was reflashed to the OEM flash, everything passed immediately and was just fine. Didn't even need to drive the car the 100 miles or so to set the readiness. So trying to maintain a tuned car like this and needing to pass emissions every year or two is going to be a PITA in my opinion. Be sure you have easy access to a reseller of the tuning software so you can get updates and support and it's not going to cost you an arm and a leg. Most of the tuning companies out there have TERRIBLE support (Revo/Stasis in the US comes to mind) which not only makes them worthless, but actually deters from the value of your car in my opinion.

Edited by Silver_TT