Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Video of my knocking

Well I decided to make a video of it instead :
I can really control that clunk knock with the throttle so easily.
I've replaced the rear engine mount, tranny mount and rear fork arms, oh and drop links and tightened sway bar...
I am now starting to think something with CV has it really sounds like its coming from that area? If it is the CV area what could it be and what would the fix be?

• Admin

I do not know if that play in the shaft is normal or not (don't have a Tip to look at right now). Perhaps some other member can check theirs?

If that is your problem you will need a couple of special tools to replace the shaft (assuming that is the issue). A couple seals will need to be press fit and bearing on the transmission side should be checked for wear.

post-1-0-01814400-1377269854_thumb.png

• Moderators

The Tiptronic shown is a MB for A96.10 (C2) or A96.35 (C4). I fear that only specialized remanufacturers have the right parts at their disposal for repair.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I am stuck.

Mechanic pin pointed the issue exactly to the spot on the picture. Whining and clunking there. 2 tranny rebuilders said the same but said parts are an issue. Diff rebuilder said the same and didn't want to get involved after seeing parts diagram.

No one is willing to take on my car and just say get a new tranny :(

Issue is right in here :

91fn.png

Am thinking about just dropping it, tearing the back off and see what is what.

Edited by maor

I don't have a tiptronic to try that on but looking at your videos, I'm pretty sure that is not normal. It could be a bearing or it could be something else.

Assuming it's not normal you either can buy a reman transmission or try to get it repaired. If you go the later route just be sure you do your homework and get someone really good. RFM is right that the parts for this are going to be tough to get unless you go through a specialized rebuilder. The fact that two rebuilders told you they wouldn't do it because they can't acquire parts means to me that I wouldn't have wanted them doing the job in the first place -- as clearly they don't specialize in this specific gearbox. Having a generalist touch one of these gearboxes is a recipe for disaster. There's a certain order parts have to be removed in and special tools are required to make measurements, etc. This is the reason why if you ask Porsche they will tell you to just buy a new reman from them -- they won't even try to take yours apart.

That Rennlist link you posted was by a guy named Erik Johnson that used to work at Gbox as a sales guy for Stan Richardson, who is one of the best Porsche 996 gearbox rebuilders there is. Stan is out of Boulder, CO USA. To be honest I'm not sure if he does Tips and you are in the UK so that's probably not an option anyway, but I would certainly give him a call and hear what he has to say and what guidance he can give you. He's been working on Porsche gearboxes for something like 30+ years: http://www.gboxweb.com/

Last thing is that this is your car and you can do whatever you want, but if you care about that gearbox or might need to use it as a core later, I would not try to tear it apart. An untrained person trying to take apart a gearbox is simply trying to get it apart without breaking or damaging the parts. Often they do not accomplish this.

Edited by Silver_TT