Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Seat reupholstery on 996

Hello

Does anyone know of a reputable shop that sells new leather covering for Porsches? I would like to refurbish the seats on my 996 (MY99). I tried recoloring the worn part with a custom dye but it started to crack again after 3 years. It probably needs new covers (for Xmas project).

Also if anyone knows the name or color code of the tannish seat I would be grateful.

Thank you in advance,

Hello

I tried recoloring the worn part with a custom dye but it started to crack again after 3 years. It probably needs new covers (for Xmas project).

Also if anyone knows the name or color code of the tannish seat I would be grateful.

Thank you in advance,

Talk to JoAnne at www.colorplus.com. You might be able to save your current leather.

G'day Speedobird,

I'm not too sure what product you used for your seats, but I have recently purchased Leatherique and I have to say the results are as good as the pictures!

I redyed my wife's seats in her Mercedes and although the test of time is still pending, so far so good...

I also conditioned and cleaned my seats and the suppleness has well and truly been revived. I don't want to dye them just yet as I am okay with the creases in the bolsters.

Good luck whichever path you choose

Peter

I used Leatherique and had very bad results and the co. said screw you. Do not use -- customer service and product quality bad. Just hate to see other Renntech's get taken.

Chuck

I (we) don't know all the details, but I have been a Porsche enthusiast for over 9 years now, and this is the first time I can remember someone speaking out in a negative fashion about Leatherique. Whatever.

Hello

I tried recoloring the worn part with a custom dye but it started to crack again after 3 years. It probably needs new covers (for Xmas project).

Thank you in advance,

Talk to JoAnne at www.colorplus.com. You might be able to save your current leather.

Thank you for your suggestion. Actually I treated the seats using a dye from Colorplus three years ago but it started cracking lately. They've done a fantastic job of matching color. I wonder if I should have sprayed the color instead of brushing or used some treatment afterward. I also stored the car for a couple of years right after.

Speed, you've got to keep the leather conditioned. I really like using Zaino Z10 for this. And as for long term storage, I use several pounds of disiccant in the cabin, when my cars are stored away for winter hibernation. Just another idea to ponder.

Speed, you've got to keep the leather conditioned. I really like using Zaino Z10 for this. And as for long term storage, I use several pounds of disiccant in the cabin, when my cars are stored away for winter hibernation. Just another idea to ponder.

Thanks. I should have done treated the seats more frequently.

Hi Speedo,

Just caught this thread and having done this I might be able to save you some grief.

Putting new leather on a Recaro seat is like trying to put a girdle on an elephant. Forget about trying to do this with the seats in the car.

Take them out and bolt them to the middle of two 8 foot 2 x 4s. Sort of like putting them on skis. Stand on the 2 x 4s when you are working. Cut the old leather off paying attention as to how the leather clips and attaches onto the seat frame. Try not to damage the foam. Put the bolsters on first. I have only done this with OEM leather so I can't speak for the aftermarket stuff but, you will have some wrinkles and loose spots. Gently heating them up with a heat gun will usually take them out. If not don't worry. A few days parked in the sun will do the job.

Just the bolster on the back of a sport seat is $1000.00 from Porsche. Please let us know the cost of the aftermarket stuff and how it turns out.

Oh, and Leatherique is excellent stuff. The reason for the varied opinion might be that Porsche uses two kinds of leather. The regular stuff is painted not dyed. The Natural leather is dyed not painted. The Leatherique will darken the Natural leather unevenly making it look like a splotchy mess. After about 2 weeks the leather will return to it's regular color. It does not change the color of the regular leather at all.

In keeping leather supple and softening dried out leather I have not found a better product. For routine cleaning I use Griot's leather cleaner and conditioner only because I like the smell of the stuff. I do the Leatherique once a year.

Edited by Mijostyn

• 3 weeks later...