Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

FYI on 997 windshield replacement.

So I got a crack in my windshield worthy enough to replace. A friend of mine owns a glass repair company and knows everything there is to know about glass so I called him. He tells me that the only after market glass available for 997's comes from a Chinese company. he said they're the best of the Chinese companies but it's still Chinese which means its a copy of a copy.

He then warned me that insurance would fight me on wanting to replace the glass with OEM which is the only high quality glass availble.

So as I have a zero deductible glass policy with Progressive, I called them to file the claim. I told them I had done my own research and that I found out that the only aftermarket glass availble for 997's is Chinese and that I refused to accept a Chinese glass. I told them that I wasn't opposed to aftermarket glass as long it came from a European manufacturer (knowing there were none). So they told me that they would have to call Safelite (their preferred vendor) and verify what I told them. And then if the car needed OEM that I could be out of pocket for the excess amount beyond what they think the job should cost.

So they called Safelite and Safelite verified that the only aftermarket company for windshields is Chinese and they even agreed that installing a Chinese glass in a high end car would not last as the glass doesn't fit perfectly and if it rcvd even the smallest rock chip would spider and then need replacing again.

So Progressive agreed to replace with OEM Porsche glass at no additional cost to me.

SCORE!

So if anybody needs to replace a windshield, just know that the only aftermarket option is Chinese. Doesn't sound like a big deal but windshields nowdays are structural elements of the car. Most after market companies just copy glass from the OEM, and the copy never fits exactly like the OEM glass. So when the installers install it, it doesn't fit exactly and so they have to force it into shape a bit which means the glass is under higher stress when they epoxy it down. Hence why the stuff spider cracks if it gets hit by a fly.

this topic has come up recentl;y in our area as well.

if your a cup car racer or race team your probably buying them by the dozen....

but for the everyday street car ive heard nothing but negatives - waves in the glass and poor reception because the internal antenna is crap etc...