Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Production #'s of X50 in US?

I was wondering if anyone knows how many X50's were made for the US. Are they pretty rare? I was reading somewhere that the 02-04 X50 was made for the US and in europe it's called the turbo S. Then in 05 they were sold as the turbo S in the US, everything the same as the X50 but with the upgraded brakes. Is that correct?

The 02-04 996TT's with X50 are technically a "Turbo with X50 package", not a "Turbo S".

The 996 "Turbo S" was 2005 only and did have PCCB brakes standard (this was formerly an option), as you alluded to.

I don't know the production numbers but 996TT X50s aren't terribly common, although not super rare at the same time. The 996 Turbo S is pretty rare I would say, if nothing else because it was only produced that single year in 2005.

The X50 package was something like an $18,000 option new... however on a used 2002-04 TT today it will only cost you an extra $1-2K over the TTs without X50. In my opinion, I wouldn't have paid $18K for it new... but it's a great option to have if you can get it on a used car purchase.

I found the folllowing if it helps about production #s....... still doesn't break it down at the option level (eg. X50):

Porsche offered the X50 upgrade for the 996 Turbo from 2002, upping power to 450hp. This became standard for the Turbo S model that arrived in 2005 and shared the X50's 0-62mph time of 4.0 seconds and 192mph top speed. The Turbo S also came with carbon ceramic brakes discs as standard, an option on non-S Turbos.

A Cabriolet version of the Turbo pitched up in 2004, which was only a year before the Turbo gave way to the new 997 in 2005, though the Turbo S continued in production alongside the 997 for a short period.

By the time production ended, 22,062 996 Turbo models of every type had been built. The numbers break down as:

996 Turbo coupe: 16,965
996 Turbo Cabriolet: 3534
996 Turbo S coupe: 600
996 Turbo S Cabriolet: 963

Edited by Silver_TT

All in all, it's pretty much a turbo S then. I rather have the X50 engine instead of the PCCB not the other way around. I know it's not a real 05 since that was the only year of production for US. I guess the reasons I ask is that I passed up a silver 05 turbo S with 33k miles for $10,000 more then a black 03 turbo X50 with 39k miles. Here on the islands to see a real turbo s is hard to come by. This was the first I seen for sale here and the X50. These cars never pop up for sale unless going over seas. Did I make the wrong choice? My thinking was X50 same engine as turbo S just no pccb and $10k less.

Edited by kimichi

996 Turbo S is pretty sweet, but I personally wouldn't pay up $10K for one over a 996TT X50. There really isn't much difference between MY2003 and MY2005. And 6k miles really isn't that much difference assuming both cars were well maintained, etc (there are people on this site with 300k+ miles on their 996TTs). These MY and mileage differences might account for approximately a few thousand dollars.... but a $10K differential is quite a bit of money. My guess is the Turbo S seller is looking for a buyer who will be willing to pay up for the fact alone that it's a pretty rare model.

Edited by Silver_TT

Exactly the reasons why I went with the X50. I do understand the rare part with the 05. All that aside, this X50 is sweet!!! Thanks for the production #'s of the turbos, I guess the world will never know.

Edited by kimichi

I just purchased a 2005 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet this week. This may be a novice question, but were all of the 2005 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet's the S version? Research by VIN does not seem to be helpful. I have been searching and all the Porsche press releases and such only mention the S version.

Thanks in advance for the help.

• Admin

I just purchased a 2005 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet this week. This may be a novice question, but were all of the 2005 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet's the S version? Research by VIN does not seem to be helpful. I have been searching and all the Porsche press releases and such only mention the S version.

Thanks in advance for the help.

:welcome:

PM me your VIN and let me do some looking..

• 1 month later...