Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Back up Warning and Camera...

I've found that my back up camera system in my SUV daily driver is a great help and adds backing up security because of the

the camera and buzzer warning. I'm now thinking it would be a big help in my 996 since the rear view is not the best.

Has anyone installed an aftermarket camera and back up system in their car? If so what are your recommendations?

Thanks,

Hi Creekman,

Most all of the aftermarket Nav/HiFi head units such as Alpine and Kenwood allow for installation of back up cameras. You would have to redue your system which is actually very straight forward. The camera is a little more complicated as it will take running a wire from the head unit to tha back of the car and mounting the camera in the bumper. Any good installer can do it. Look for the guys in your area that do the high end cars. 996s and 997s are having their systems redone in droves so, you should be able to find some one with lots of experience in your area.

It turns out that several of the models shown above are no longer available... I'll continue to research this, I would like to end up with a back up camera, warning system and GPS.

I'm wondering if you could find a salvage yard that was parting out a 996 with the GPS option for a good price? Good price is probably a relative

thing.

I had a kenwood dnx9900hd system installed with a back up camera. I got it installed by my local car stereo place and they did a great job. You can now get back up cameras that provide alarms when you back up too close, like what you have on your other car but no need for sensors to be installed on the bumper the camera does it all.

I had a kenwood dnx9900hd system installed with a back up camera. I got it installed by my local car stereo place and they did a great job. You can now get back up cameras that provide alarms when you back up too close, like what you have on your other car but no need for sensors to be installed on the bumper the camera does it all.

Hey Dish, great information... thanks.

• 5 months later...

Dish,

I've already purchased my backup camera, however you might post the model and information on the combo unit. That sounds like a great unit if you're interested in having both features. Actually the warning sound can often be more helpful that the video...