Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

seat belt light and key cylinder

Problem #1: Since I got the car, 1999 carrera 4 cab, the seat belt light works once in a while. The light and bell sound about every 10th time I get in the car and don't buckle my seatbelt. The warning light never lights up when I start the car. But if I take off the seat belt, the light and bell will occ go off.

Problem #2: When I start the car for the first time of the day, and the temp is below freezing, the key is hard to turn. It's not locked, but feel like it is molasses. If the car does not get completely warm, when I turn it off and take the key out, the engine shuts off, but the electric stuff stays on for 5 seconds, then I hear a click and it shuts off. When the car is warm, keys turns easily and everything shuts off when I take the key out.

Now, here is the weird part. If it is really cold, below 20 degrees, key feels like it is in molasses, but when I start the car the eat belt warning light comes on and it bings a few times and the light stays on until I buckle the seat belt.

So if I replace the cylinder will it fix everything? I have read the posts on replacing this, but I don't have the typical symptoms of this going bad. Is the seat belt light wired to the cylinder? Just a loose wire?

• Moderators

Problem #1: Since I got the car, 1999 carrera 4 cab, the seat belt light works once in a while. The light and bell sound about every 10th time I get in the car and don't buckle my seatbelt. The warning light never lights up when I start the car. But if I take off the seat belt, the light and bell will occ go off.

Problem #2: When I start the car for the first time of the day, and the temp is below freezing, the key is hard to turn. It's not locked, but feel like it is molasses. If the car does not get completely warm, when I turn it off and take the key out, the engine shuts off, but the electric stuff stays on for 5 seconds, then I hear a click and it shuts off. When the car is warm, keys turns easily and everything shuts off when I take the key out.

Now, here is the weird part. If it is really cold, below 20 degrees, key feels like it is in molasses, but when I start the car the eat belt warning light comes on and it bings a few times and the light stays on until I buckle the seat belt.

So if I replace the cylinder will it fix everything? I have read the posts on replacing this, but I don't have the typical symptoms of this going bad. Is the seat belt light wired to the cylinder? Just a loose wire?

Just about everything is wired to the ignition switch in one fashion or another; the switch is a $15 part and an easy DIY replacement.

Sounds like you have the lub in the key switch and set belt latch getting very thick with the cold. Being originally from Minnesota I would take a can of WD 40 and wash out the key cly. and seat belt catch, and after the it dries use dry lub "graphite" also get a can of contact cleaner from Radio Shack or Digi-Key and wash out the switches with it, they will collect grease and cold will stiffing up also.

'

Just another question and an update.

Question: Do I need the entire key unit or just start with the $20 switch?

Update: So since I got my car the voltmeter light was out. Was planning on getting around to this, eventually. But last night I learned if it less than 0 degrees F, the voltmeter light works also.

• Moderators

Just another question and an update.

Question: Do I need the entire key unit or just start with the $20 switch?

Update: So since I got my car the voltmeter light was out. Was planning on getting around to this, eventually. But last night I learned if it less than 0 degrees F, the voltmeter light works also.

You need just the $20 electrical portion of the switch.