Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Changing Transmission Fluid

like the title says, i know this sounds like a stupid question (i'm still a noob when it comes to wrenching, and this will be my first transmission fluid change) but i saw on the DIY transmission oil page that the Carrera 4's have to chaing oil in the front axel final drive?

this is different than a diffrential right?

do i have to do anything to my LSD (my car is RWD, not a C4)?

(flame suit on)

thanks for the help.

(also, how often do i have to change the tranny fluid?)

Edited by DeAd-EyE

• Admin
like the title says, i know this sounds like a stupid question (i'm still a noob when it comes to wrenching, and this will be my first transmission fluid change) but i saw on the DIY transmission oil page that the Carrera 4's have to chaing oil in the front axel final drive?

this is different than a diffrential right?

do i have to do anything to my LSD (my car is RWD, not a C4)?

(flame suit on)

thanks for the help.

(also, how often do i have to change the tranny fluid?)

According to Porsche's Maintenance schedules

Additional maintenance every 90,000 miles (144,000 km)

Manual transmission: - Changing transmission oil 

Automatic transmission:

Replace ATF or Replace ATF (as of 2002)

Replace ATF filter or Replace ATF filter (as of 2002)

Change transmission oil in final drive or Change transmission oil in final drive (as of 2002) 

Final drive, front:

Change transmission oil in front wheel drive

In a 2WD Carrera the transmission and differential share the same case and oil. 4WD cars have another differential in the front. As long as you use Porsche approved transmission oils then you do not need anything else for the LSD.

Hey Loren, btw I picked up the factory castrol from the dealer and used it for the fill. As I used the off the shelf mobile 1 previously I can say there is a noticeable difference in the shift quality especially when hot and somewhat when cold. I would go with the factory fill again over the off the shelf mobile 1. I also picked up enough to do 2 changes though :) The dealer threw in a few liters for free as it was the end of the container :)

Hey Loren, btw I picked up the factory castrol from the dealer and used it for the fill. As I used the off the shelf mobile 1 previously I can say there is a noticeable difference in the shift quality especially when hot and somewhat when cold. I would go with the factory fill again over the off the shelf mobile 1. I also picked up enough to do 2 changes though :) The dealer threw in a few liters for free as it was the end of the container :)

Factory Castrol? The 996 transmission (G96/00) is factory filled with 75w90 Shell Transaxle Oil.

Edited by PTEC

I am pretty sure it was castrol. I got it straight from the dealer after I asked for gt3 tranny fluid because I was concerned about my lsd. It is better than anything I have used in it fwiw.

it is a 75/90 and I am already familiar with what you are professing as it is in Loren's DIY. I am just stating what I picked up and used, and it seems to me to be far superior that what came in the car and better than the off the shelf mobile 1 of the same weight.

Is there a way to check? I got it from autogallery and that is what they use and recommend for the gt3. I really do like the results of the use btw, but now you have me scared about possible damage or lack of protection?

Maybe it is not recommended because of the need to change it more frequently? If that is simply the case then I will leave it in because it is that much nicer. Assuming it's ok what is the change interval? Thanks

Hey Loren can you please give me some feedback or suggestion on the differences of the fluid? I don't want to damage anything and will want to remedy the sitiauation asap. Thanks Sean

• 10 months later...

redline is a good product, just make sure it says that it is safe to use on diffrentials as well, beacuse on the 996 tranny, the fluid is shared with the diff.

I'm using castrol gear oil and have yet to have any problems. and its a fraction of the cost of Shell transaxel from the dealer (like 12 bucks a liter vs 50$..the choice was obvious to me :) )

amsoil, redline and royal purple are all quality products and as long as you stick to the diff recomendation and proper weight grade, you shouldn't have a problem.

EDIT: does anyone have a full list of approved gear oils/tranny fluids?

Edited by DeAd-EyE

So Loren I checked my invoice to try and figure out whether or not the fluid would cause any damage to my tranny. The part number listed is: 000-043-204-71

I noted that this part number is obviously different than that listed as approved. The dealer tried to tell me that that part number was approved for all P cars from 98-07???? It appears that my second gear and 4th are a pita to shift now. I don't know if the fluid is too slippery and is not letting the syncros engage or what but when I shift it into second say, it tickles the teeth and then goes in. I am wondering whether any damage occured and then it would be something to take up with them.

Please let me know what the part number is for. I checked my pet5 and it didn't come up.

Thanks sean

EDIT: does anyone have a full list of approved gear oils/tranny fluids?
Yes, there is a list of "Porsche approved" transmission oils as well as motor oils in the (Contributor's Only) TSB section.

so does that mean 1. that the container that I took a pic of is fine to use and is the same as that part number, or 2. that the fluid is maybe something different than what the container says? Thanks.

000.043.204.71 is transmission oil. It is listed for the Boxster 97 to 06. It is should work fine a Carrera too. I would guess they have just changed vendors so a different part number.