Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Power Steering Fluid Flush

PS fluid is a lubricant and does have a service life. I dont know of a receommended interval, but its cheap insurance. I did mine around 90K and it was noteably thinner than the fresh fluid.

The lines are pretty easy to get to behind the front tire so its not a bad DIY job

• Moderators

Anyone have a write up on performing this service? Time and tools involved? Thx for all replies.

A total "flush" of the system requires disconnecting the low pressure return line under the car, and then adding fluid in the engine bay while turning the steering back and forth with the car idling until clean fluid comes out. It is a two person job, and you need to be careful not to let the pump run dry during the process as they do not like that, and the pump is expensive. There are aftermarket firms that make quick disconnect fittings with filters and magnets to cut into that line that will make future service a much easier affair:

filter-in-hose.jpg?sfvrsn=2

An easier, and perhaps more practical approach would be to simply siphon off all the fluid you can get out of the reservoir and pump, refill the system, then drive the car a short distance and repeat the process. Unless the existing fluid is really in bad shape, this is probably all you need to do.

As part of our normal annual service protocol, we drain and refill the power steering reservoir on all the cars we service. While not replacing all the fluid, or flushing out all the debris, it does continuously replace most of the old and dirty fluid in the system on a regular basis, at very little cost.

• Moderators

Thank you JFP, will do the easier route in spring if it ever comes to WI. Do I need a special Pcar fluid?

The correct fluid for the car is Pentosin CH11 S, available on line and from many retail auto parts outlets as well.

Anyone have a write up on performing this service? Time and tools involved? Thx for all replies.

A total "flush" of the system requires disconnecting the low pressure return line under the car, and then adding fluid in the engine bay while turning the steering back and forth with the car idling until clean fluid comes out. It is a two person job, and you need to be careful not to let the pump run dry during the process as they do not like that, and the pump is expensive. There are aftermarket firms that make quick disconnect fittings with filters and magnets to cut into that line that will make future service a much easier affair:

An easier, and perhaps more practical approach would be to simply siphon off all the fluid you can get out of the reservoir and pump, refill the system, then drive the car a short distance and repeat the process. Unless the existing fluid is really in bad shape, this is probably all you need to do.

As part of our normal annual service protocol, we drain and refill the power steering reservoir on all the cars we service. While not replacing all the fluid, or flushing out all the debris, it does continuously replace most of the old and dirty fluid in the system on a regular basis, at very little cost.

JFP... When you disconnect the return line, you mean disconnect the return line at the steering rack? If so for clarification for anyone doing

that, it's the larger diameter pipe of the two pipes. When you bleed/flush the system does the engine

to be running?

I have an electric power steering pump, it made a terrible groaning noise, turns out that I had some debris in the system so I'm replacing the

pump. Since I don't know if there's some contamination in the steering rack I'm going to flush the system with cheap P/S fluid, then fill with the

Pentosin. My local Car-Quest auto parts house carries the CHF 11S for about $25.00 a can. And I'm going to add the P/S inline filter as well...

Edited by creekman

• Moderators

JFP... When you disconnect the return line, you mean disconnect the return line at the steering rack? If so for clarification for anyone doing

that, it's the larger diameter pipe of the two pipes. When you bleed/flush the system does the engine

to be running?

I have an electric power steering pump, it made a terrible groaning noise, turns out that I had some debris in the system so I'm replacing the

pump. Since I don't know if there's some contamination in the steering rack I'm going to flush the system with cheap P/S fluid, then fill with the

Pentosin. My local Car-Quest auto parts house carries the CHF 111S for about $25.00 a can. And I'm going to add the P/S inline filter as well...

Yes, the return line at the rack.

I would not be running anything but the correct fluid in the car, even to clean it out. There are a myriad of flexible seals in this system, and the use of an incompatible fluid could lead to swelling or other problems. The system does not hold that much fluid, so it simply is not worth the risk......

I would not be running anything but the correct fluid in the car, even to clean it out. There are a myriad of flexible seals in this system, and the use of an incompatible fluid could lead to swelling or other problems. The system does not hold that much fluid, so it simply is not worth the risk......

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that, I'm glad you responded maybe saving me some problems...

Edited by creekman