Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have posted on Rennlist about my brake pedal sticking on my 99 996 but there havent been any takers.

The symptoms are that the pedal will occasionally stick "on". I need to pull up on the pedal with my toe to free it. It's not severely sticking but sticking nonetheless.

My first thought, based on my highly scientific Google research, was that my master cylinder or some part in the fluid system was bad. All is well in that department and several bleedings by the dealer did not show any concerns with the booster, etc.

So, I got under the dash and have been playing with the pedal. It definitely feels like something is amiss with the pedal assembly itself.

I believe there is a spring there? I didn't see it in the PET. Could a worn spring or bushing cause this thing to stick?

I really hate to have my dealer dig into this too deep as my wallet and fragile nerves can't handle it.

When the pedal is sticking, do you feel the brakes are dragging. If they are, it's likely due to water intrusion into the brake booster. Porsche has an updated design that eliminates this problem for '99 cars.

Edited by Ahsai

Let me add just a tad more info. When the car is off, I can fiddle with the brake pedal and feel and hear that it is binding. When pressure is in the sytem, the brakes definitely do drag unless I pull up on the pedal. My non mechanical theory would point to a pedal issue if the system is not active, ie the engine is off. Then again, I really have no freaking idea.

Sorry, like Creekman I was thinking about the clutch pedal. There's no spring on the brake pedal as far as I know. Still, water intrusion in brake booster is a well known problem for '99 cars. There's an updated booster and linkage. The water fills up the diaphragm of the booster, which makes it not returning to the rest position even after you take your foot off the pedal.

Edited by Ahsai

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...