Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Using Airlift UView 5500 question

I recently replaced my water pump, thermostat, and front engine mount. I had drained the coolant by removing the hose to the thermostat and waterpump. I put it all back together and added a couple of gallons of FRESH pre-mixed prestone anti-freeze, silicate free, phosphate free, etc. I realize 2 gallons will NOT completely fill the system. I was going to use the Burp method to purge air from system but decided to purchase a UVIEW airlift 5500 system.  I have seen the youtube video. I was wondering will it still work if the system is partially filled with coolant?  Should I drain what is in the system, use the Airlift system then re-fill again using the Airlift system once it has vacuum? 

It's hard to say whether the residual air trapped inside the system can be extracted by the tool. Imagine a U-shape tube filled with liquid but there's some air trapped at the bottom of the "U". Now if you apply vacuum to both ends of the U-tube simultaneously, you will never be able to extract the trapped air.

You can always try the tool and see if it works first but if your coolant tank is already full, I doubt it will work well. You can check to see if air bubbles are being sucked out in the coolant tank. Otherwise, I guess the best option would be to drain the 2 gal coolant and start over with the refill tool.

Edited by Ahsai

• Moderators

I recently replaced my water pump, thermostat, and front engine mount. I had drained the coolant by removing the hose to the thermostat and waterpump. I put it all back together and added a couple of gallons of FRESH pre-mixed prestone anti-freeze, silicate free, phosphate free, etc. I realize 2 gallons will NOT completely fill the system. I was going to use the Burp method to purge air from system but decided to purchase a UVIEW airlift 5500 system.  I have seen the youtube video. I was wondering will it still work if the system is partially filled with coolant?  Should I drain what is in the system, use the Airlift system then re-fill again using the Airlift system once it has vacuum? 

Yes, you can use the Uview on a partially filled system (we do it for cars with DIY coolant refills that went bad) as long as the system is dead cold (zero run time) and the Uview adaptor is above the liquid level in the tank.  It has to be cold to prevent the vacuum from causing the coolant already in the system from boiling under vacuum, which it will do if the engine has any heat in it.  If you have substantial air already trapped in the coolant on board, the system may "burp" one or two times as the air comes out.  Hook up the Uview and let it come up to full vacuum, then shut the valve and let the system sit for at least 5 min. under vacuum without any movement in the Uview gauge (test for possible leaks or remaining air in the system), then pull in the remaining coolant until the system if full (vacuum will drop to zero when that happens).  You should then be set to go.

• 2 months later...

I suspected air pockets in my cooling system (expansion tank replaced at a shop, perhaps they didn't vacuum fill property) so I bought the uView to give it a shot.

Coolant is filled up to the clear/black plastic seam on the tank. Should I be trying to get a full 25 on the gauge when at vaccuum?

I currently am only getting 15, but the air coming out is burping a little (spurts/spray of liquid a few times). I am also wary as I am on a smaller 2.1CFM air compressor. Can this method really purge air up from beyond the expansion tank?

Thanks in advance!

2000 Boxster in San Francisco.

• Moderators

I suspected air pockets in my cooling system (expansion tank replaced at a shop, perhaps they didn't vacuum fill property) so I bought the uView to give it a shot.

Coolant is filled up to the clear/black plastic seam on the tank. Should I be trying to get a full 25 on the gauge when at vaccuum?

I currently am only getting 15, but the air coming out is burping a little (spurts/spray of liquid a few times). I am also wary as I am on a smaller 2.1CFM air compressor. Can this method really purge air up from beyond the expansion tank?

Thanks in advance!

2000 Boxster in San Francisco.

The Uview system will extract all the air out of the system as long as the adaptor is not touching liquid.  You should definitely be pulling 24-26 inches of vacuum on the car.