Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2004 Twin Turbo stored two codes

I found a 2004 Twin Turbo convertible for sale with 57.500 miles.  VIN is wp0cb29994s675585.  The PSM and ABS came on, and the car is in the limp home mode.  The owner has replaced the coils, plugs, throttle pedal sensor, electric throttle on the motor, MAF, and turbo boost valve.  The ECU has been checked and reprogrammed.  The Durametric codes were MAF and No connection from ECU to DME for the PSM and ABS lights.

I wonder what is wrong, and how much it might cost to fix it?

Best regards,

• Moderators

I found a 2004 Twin Turbo convertible for sale with 57.500 miles.  VIN is wp0cb29994s675585.  The PSM and ABS came on, and the car is in the limp home mode.  The owner has replaced the coils, plugs, throttle pedal sensor, electric throttle on the motor, MAF, and turbo boost valve.  The ECU has been checked and reprogrammed.  The Durametric codes were MAF and No connection from ECU to DME for the PSM and ABS lights.

Best regards,

What codes, and what type of diagnostic tool was used to retrieve them?

Best regards,

Thank you for your prompt and detailed reply.  I just sent the seller an email asking what the codes are.  He claims that he uses the Durametric tool.

Best regards,

Thank you for your prompt and detailed reply.  I just sent the seller an email asking what the codes are.  He claims that he uses the Durametric tool.

My seller just had surgery, so my reply is slow.  Codes are 0130 and 5525.  Seller claims that 0130 is mass air flow which he claims to have replaced twice.  5525 he claims is improper data from DME.  Any idea as to what is wrong and how much it might cost to repair?

• Moderators

Best regards,

My seller just had surgery, so my reply is slow.  Codes are 0130 and 5525.  Seller claims that 0130 is mass air flow which he claims to have replaced twice.  5525 he claims is improper data from DME.  Any idea as to what is wrong and how much it might cost to repair?

OK, I am going to stick my neck out here because I obviously have not seen the car, and say "Walk away".  P5525 is troublesome; it is not "improper data from the DME" but rather a data communications fault with the DME, which can cause the car to throw ABS, PSM and other codes.  While there have been cases where P5525 was caused by leaking intercooler hoses, in the worst case scenario, a P5525 can result in having to replace the DME, which is anything but cheap.  I am concerned about the DME being "reprogrammed" without knowing by whom and to what it was reflashed.  I would also like to know if the DME has ever be reflashed to an aftermarket program, some of which cause long term problems with these cars.

Porsche's are complicated, Porsche Turbo's are very complicated.  You could be buying in to a real can of worms here, and I'm sure there are other Turbo's for sale out there which would pass a PPI with flying colors.

Best regards,

OK, I am going to stick my neck out here because I obviously have not seen the car, and say "Walk away".  P5525 is troublesome; it is not "improper data from the DME" but rather a data communications fault with the DME, which can cause the car to throw ABS, PSM and other codes.  While there have been cases where P5525 was caused by leaking intercooler hoses, in the worst case scenario, a P5525 can result in having to replace the DME, which is anything but cheap.  I am concerned about the DME being "reprogrammed" without knowing by whom and to what it was reflashed.  I would also like to know if the DME has ever be reflashed to an aftermarket program, some of which cause long term problems with these cars.

Porsche's are complicated, Porsche Turbo's are very complicated.  You could be buying in to a real can of worms here, and I'm sure there are other Turbo's for sale out there which would pass a PPI with flying colors.

JFP,

Thank you for your prompt and detailed reply.  I value your opinion.  Being a mechanical guy, I have always been intimidated by these types of problems.  The turbos do not have the IMS bearing problems, but it appears that they have their own unique problems.  The search for my forth Porsche continues.  If Porsche would ever build a galvanived steel 356 with ABS and four airbags, I would be one happy customer.

Best regards,

Edited by mrrogers

Turbos don't really have that many unique intrinsic problems.  In all due fairness, you would have a hard time finding a true Achilles heel in the TT.

Like JFP said, why look at cars that have any problems?  Why try and guess how much something like this is going to cost to fix?  And why didn't the current owner just fix it before selling the car?  Seems a bit odd to me but I wouldn't waste your time trying to answer those questions and I would just find a car where everything is working and has been well maintained.  A lot of people have tried to mod the TT and there's some garbage out there.  I have no idea what the deal is with yours but I wouldn't be surprised if someone flashed it and did something to the DME.  Just too many clowns out there who don't know what they are doing.

The Turbos do have more expensive hardware on the car and, yes, it will cost more to fix than a NA 996.  But there are some of them out there for sale that don't have problems....you just have to be patient and sift through some bad apples to find the right one.  Once you do, it's heaven.