Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Struggled to start

So my 97 Boxster has been having an issue of not starting as of late. Some times it takes multiple tries of turning the key until the car will finally ignite. Other times it will ignite first try. When starting it up today, I noticed smoke as well as a fume coming out the exaust pipe. The oil was been replaced a few months ago and I had a new air oil separator put in 1-2 years ago. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

What has been happening when you turn the key? (Sights and sounds? Does it sound like the starter engages?)

Color of smoke/fumes? Smell of fumes? How long does it last? What does the inside of the tailpipe look like?

How does the coolant tank level/color look? Oil dipstick level/color?

As I already replaced the Crank Position sensor, I am thinking it is a fuel issue. Digging back in memory, it happens only when engine has already ran that day. Cold starts are never an issue. Also ever so rarely, WOT acceleration in the 4000-5000 rpm range results in slight hesitation. Maybe a fuel pressure regulator (only on the non-Egas cars from 97-99).

It is not bothering me enough to fix it soon. Have other projects coming up (engine drop on the GT3) :-)

• 1 month later...

What has been happening when you turn the key? (Sights and sounds? Does it sound like the starter engages?)

Color of smoke/fumes? Smell of fumes? How long does it last? What does the inside of the tailpipe look like?

How does the coolant tank level/color look? Oil dipstick level/color?

Once turning the key, I can hear a faint click. The lights will go but my radio light won't turn on. There is no sound of the engine trying to start. 

As for the smoke, I think it occured because it was an early cold morning and I hadn't driven it in a few days. Since then, I have yet to see any smoke.

As for the levels and color, I would have to check as I'm not entirely too sure.  

Yesterday I got the battery replaced as well as replaced the ignition switch on the clutch. The car started to run and would take one to two tries to start up. I just tried starting it up today and it's not starting up now... :\

You can try a new start lock relay to see if that's the problem. Anything else will involve some diagnostic. Power goes from the battery to the ignition switch, then to the start lock relay, then to the starter solenoid. The start lock relay is closed by the DME/immobilizer after it detects your key (the immobilizer pill) is close to the keyhole and the clutch is depressed. So any break in any of those places the starter will not spin. Of course the starter solenoid itself can also be bad. So when it happens, you need to isolate which part is not getting the power.

Edited by Ahsai