Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

who drives their Boxster in the winter?

So I have this 2004 dark blue Boxster base with just 11,000 miles on it.  I am getting a set of winter tires on a set of Porsche wheels I found on craigslist so I can drive it in northern Illinois winters. My wife as well as some friends are surprised I want to drive this car in the winter. Who garages their cars in the winter?  Who drives their cars year round? What do you all think???

I bought it earlier this year with a whopping 3,000 miles on it. Not sure where it was hiding for 10 years but its mine now and I love it. It is brand new in almost every way. interior is mint, exterior is mint and the under body still had this oily coat the dealer told me the factory sprays to protect their cars during shipping. I know it will last longer if i keep it out of bad weather but assuming I keep it clean Im not expecting to have it more than 6 or 7 years. Im not one to keep cars much longer than that...

I have a 2000 base Boxster with 137,000 miles on it.  I live in the Kansas City area and it is my year round daily driver.  If there is snow or ice on the ground, I drive my 4x4 truck.  But even in the worst weather, the roads here are usually clear in a day or two.  I did invest in some snow tires (Pirelli Winter Snowsport 240) this year as I was concerned about a surprise snow storm and about running my summer tires at temps between 0 and 20 degrees F.  I will be honest though, I drove on my summer tires year round for the last 7 years with out problems.  Porsche designed and built this car to be driven and I just don't see why I would keep in in the garage.  If it is warm enough to get the top down with out breaking the plastic window, I put on a stocking hat, crank the heater up to High and fire up the seat heaters.  I do get some odd looks at times.  ;-)

Sometimes I'd be so eager to get out I'd put a electric space heater in the car for a half hour to warm up that plastic window so I could safely lower it.

I drove mine except on the days where the road temperature was less than 40 degrees. One time I didn't. It was totaled. Pay attention to the road temperature and get at least all-seasons if you are going to drive it when there is even a chance of the road surface being so cold that the tire "rubber" won't grip with summer tires.

Hey now thats what I wanted to hear. The tires on it now are Pirelli Pzero and they are worthless once the temp dropped. In a little bit of snow It could barely get into first gear. I actually had to give it a running start just to get it into the garage today with a small covering of snow.  Thanks all for sharing!  Anybody else care to contribute? 

With winter tires the Boxster is outstanding in the snow.  I put on my hard top and winter tires in early November and leave them on until mid-April. 

I have a set of Bridgestone Blizzak's LM-25V and they are great in ice and snow.  Also, get yourself a good set of winter floor matts and some seat upholstery chaps and if you bring a little weather into your car, nothing hurt.

With 11K on your car it's got to look pretty pristine inside and you'll want to keep it that way!

Edited by kbrandsma

The last couple of days in the Pacific NW it's been below 20 degrees with ice and snow.  If you have your winter tires on their own rims, it makes them easy to swap them out.

Love those heated seats!

d150e8d2-c28b-46e0-901b-5a9f805d3eed_zps

Edited by kbrandsma

• 1 year later...

I drive mine in the winter and I love it. Scarf on, top down, heaters on, smile away :)

I don't see any issue to be honest. As long as you service and look after your car regularly, and you'd drive responsibly in the cold, then driving in the winter shouldn't matter at all. Good coating of wax to protect the paint and make sure those tyres have good tread. Job done!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 on the continentals Jones, I got the extreme contact dws on a set of porsche 16" wheels. Not sure what car the wheels came from but they just BARLEY fit over the brake calipers. Dragging the hose or pressure washer arent always an option when it drops well below freezing so the gas station "Touchless" car wash has the under body spray and thats as good as she gets. 

now that its spring I dont really see the big deal either. The continentals make the car very predictable in the snow and very good when its just cold and dry. Im sure actual snow tires would be best however these tires have worked very well for me. I have a set of new summer tires coming so hopefully we are done with the cold for a while.

What kind of oil do you all use when the temperature drops? Same year round or does it pay to use a thinner oil during the colder months?  Thanks for sharing every one!

Cool picture ;)  ...and that's exactly the way the car is supposed to be driven!

What kind of oil do you all use when the temperature drops? Same year round or does it pay to use a thinner oil during the colder months?  Thanks for sharing every one!

I've been using Liqui Moly 5W40 for Ever...and with over 300k, my car still runs like new.

Here in Toronto it sometimes gets -30 Celsius in winter, and I had no problem at all with that viscosity.

Jones