Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cleaning the MAF Sensor

I cleaned the MAF sensor recently on my Toyota Yaris, which has a diesel engine, with a noticeable improvement in fuel consumption.  There was nothing wrong with the performance of the vehicle.  It has done 42K miles over 8 years, but the MAF sensor had quite a bit of build up.  With the first journey fuel consumption seemed to improve by about 5 -8%.

I then used the same cleaner on the 996 (2003 C2 with 52k).  Once again I could see an improvement in fuel consumption. I have never done this work as part of normal maintenance, but will in future.  I used the proper spray cleaner for the job which does it without the need for hard contact.

On looking at the shape of the MAF sensor it seems to be the same Bosch component that's fitted to the Opel Astra and Alfa Romeo 156.  The one on the Astra is about 25% of the cost Porsche unit.  Is it the same part?

H

Hilux: If I may, in your post above, you said: 'I then used the same cleaner on the 996 (2003 C2 with 52k).'

Would you be kind enough to give us the name of the product you used?

In addition, when you said there is no need for hard contact, do you mean you only have to spray the cleaner on the MAF sensor?

Thank you very much!

I used the CRC cleaner as mentioned by Loren in the above post. Cost about £7.   It works just by spraying and the force of the jet is all you need.  You need to spray the wire and the plates within the housing.  Spray a few times using the full force of the jet. Shake off the surplus and allow to dry.  The CRC fluid will cool the unit and if you do the job during high humidity water droplets will condense on the unit. These will need to be dried off in a warm room.     

I took the MAF sensor out.  There are two torq screws holding it in, but you will need the security bit for the driver as the screws have a central pin. This job is best done with the air cleaner box off the car.

Hope this helps.

H

Thanks very much Hilux for the detailed reply!

Superbe, mon ami!

Now I know I have to buy 2 more new automotive products: The CRC 05110 Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner for the MAF and some Gummi Pfledge Stift for Window seals conditioning. Check!

I was aware of the security torx bit requirement as well to remove the MAF sensor but thanks for the reminder as I should get more of those security torx bits.

Martin