Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have 2004 CTT 97600 miles needs a transmission. I talked to the shop and the mechanic suggested selling my car for parts b/c it costs 5000  for a transmission and Porsche is not reliable and high cost of maintenance. 

I love German car and more familiar with BMWs. I have three of them, and not knowing much about Porsche.  What you guys think? 

When I bought the CTT few months ago, I want to keep it for few yrs. Unfortunately, the CTT needs another transmission.  Thanks in advance for suggestion and inputs.

ALX5

• Moderators

I have 2004 CTT 97600 miles needs a transmission. I talked to the shop and the mechanic suggested selling my car for parts b/c it costs 5000  for a transmission and Porsche is not reliable and high cost of maintenance. 

I love German car and more familiar with BMWs. I have three of them, and not knowing much about Porsche.  What you guys think? 

When I bought the CTT few months ago, I want to keep it for few yrs. Unfortunately, the CTT needs another transmission.  Thanks in advance for suggestion and inputs.

ALX5

I would strongly consider getting a new mechanic. 

All modern cars have upkeep cost, particularly if they have not been properly maintained.  Porsche is no different than any other make in this respect.

Get a Porsche shop to look at the trans, it may just need a service and possibly a valve body replacement, which is not going to cost $5k.  We have seen more than one Porsche declared "DOA" by a shop not experienced with Porsches that was miraculously revived for a reasonable amount and happily back on the road for many more miles.

My 04 CTT was stuck on the 5th gear and I took to the dealer.  I pulled the code 732.  The dealer got the same code and they said it is mechanical issue.  they suggested another transmission rather than a valve body.  there also was a time I got code 731 and 730 from my car.

I also did get a new TCU when all PRND light up.   I talked to another shop and they said they don't have the capacity to diagnose transmission issue like the dealer does but they will look for me another transmission. 

ALX5

• Admin
Fault code P0730 -- Incorrect gear ratio

Possible causes of fault:

- 'Mechanical fault', shift solenoid valve (S2) jams

- 'Mechanical fault', shift solenoid valve Cl (modulation pressure) jams

- 'Mechanical fault', abrupt switching from 'gear 2 to gear 1 ', modulation pressure solenoid valve (main) jams

- 'Mechanical fault', hydraulic control unit faulty or screws loose

- 'Mechanical fault', clutch or brake band faulty

- 'Mechanical fault', ATF pump faulty

Fault code P0731 -- Gear "1", incorrect ratio [Gear 1 Incorrect Ratio]

- 'Mechanical fault', hydraulic control unit faulty

Fault code P0732 Gear "2" , incorrect ratio [Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio]

- 'Mechanical fault', hydraulic control unit faulty

The P0730 fault points to faulty solenoid(s). An oil change and new valve body would certainly be less expensive than a transmission change.

How do I know which one is correct version of my car, 04 CTT.  I talked to the first mechanic and he said he needs two numbers from my transmission in order to look for a correct one.  Is that correct? 

He quoted me a 65000 miles transmission is $3000, shipping and labor about $2000.  Total is #5k.    I still wait to hear from another shop.  Thanks for your help. 

ALX5.

• Moderators

How do I know which one is correct version of my car, 04 CTT.  I talked to the first mechanic and he said he needs two numbers from my transmission in order to look for a correct one.  Is that correct? 

He quoted me a 65000 miles transmission is $3000, shipping and labor about $2000.  Total is #5k.    I still wait to hear from another shop.  Thanks for your help. 

ALX5.

Normally, you can look up the exact trans model that is in the vehicle using the Cayenne's VIN number, which is what a dealer would do, but you can also get numbers off the trans itself.

Hi JFP in PA

My VIN is WP1AC29P14lA91824.  I looked online and found two options: with turbo thru VIN 4LA93559 and another one.  What does it mean? does it mean from ever what VIN to that VIN.  My VIN is not in 935 series. 

The dealer gave me two numbers from my car: Type A4850 and serial EG307530.  Should I look under these number.  thanks again for your help and quick responses.

ALX5

to Enzo955:  "What symptoms is your tranny showing?"

It shifts to 5th gear at stop lights and stuck there. I have to stop the car, turn off, remove the keys then restart the car.  

To Loren:  "An oil change and ------ would be less expensive than a new transmission."   Issues happened after I got my CTT 90,000 + transmission serviced.  I know it is just coincident.   How do I convince a shop to do valve body.  they told me they can't diagnose the transmission and do whatever the dealer suggest, and the dealer as soon as they see code with mechanical issues they suggested another transmission.  I feel more confident in you and JFP's opinion than couple guys I talked to at my city.  

To Loren and JFP in PA: I am thinking about getting a transmission shop to rebuild my transmission.  what do you think?  Do I need specially a shop familiar with Porsche or any transmission shop would be OK.  

I did find a transmission 87k miles for 2400.  thanks for your guys help.

ALX5

Hi Loren.

If I have my VB replaced do I need to replace the solenoids too or it comes as a whole package.  I read DIY VB replacement and saw they are two different things so I don't know if it needs to be changed as well or I can keep the old solenoids.  Thanks again.

• Moderators

Will Gold-Meister tech qualify for it?  I found a shop with a Gold-Meister technician ads. 

Gold Meister ratings are highly desirable, but I would also suggest contacting your local PCA chapter for some recommendations in your area.

• Admin

What does PCA stand for?  I doubt there is one in where I am at, Salt Lake City, Utah.  thanks

ALX5

Hover your mouse over PCA and a pop-up will tell you about it and provide a link (this may not work on all phones but works on any normal browser view)