Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Move Steering Wheel warning and car won't start...

Car will not start, all power comes on, everything in the car works as usual, but no crank. I got out my Durametric but theres no power to the OBD port. No LED illuminates on Durametric tool and cale not ready message is displayed.

I actually jacked the car up a bit and turned the wheels all the way left and right....still nothing.

Dear Jesus. I have had the Flu a week since Sunday and finally get out of bed to this.

HELP

ME.......

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steering rack!

Had this same issue a couple of years ago my friend. It's in the forum. Spent weeks at the Dealer before it was resolved. There is a sensor in the rack that goes out.... It is very early in the progression to "energize" the ignition. You will not get a Durametric reading because the system is not on yet. I suspect you have a soft brake pedal and cannot get the car out of park.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/42712-2003-cayenne-turbo-will-not-start/

Edited by Pkscheldt

There is nothing in the steering rack that would cause this issue but the control module that is part of the steering column will. The Porsche scan tool can access certain control module without the ignition key operating so I recommend you take it to the dealer but be sure the battery is fully charged and not the source of the problem. I've only seen this fault occur on the 2003 to early 2005 vehicles.

There is nothing in the steering rack that would cause this issue but the control module that is part of the steering column will. The Porsche scan tool can access certain control module without the ignition key operating so I recommend you take it to the dealer but be sure the battery is fully charged and not the source of the problem. I've only seen this fault occur on the 2003 to early 2005 vehicles.

Actually wvicary is absolutely correct. After reviewing the MANY service invoices for the old 2003 CTT I see that it was the entire "steering column comp" P955-347-007-19 that was the root of this issue for me, in my case the rack was replaced as well. In my notes from that repair on 10/12/2012 the tech had explained exactly what I have stated, but referred to it as the " sensor in the rack." I never checked the documentation to clarify at the time. It was a sensor in the column module, which is embedded in the column itself. Of course they did replace the steering rack as well, but after review that is just because it was faulty. 

This was an absolute nightmare and the beginning of the end for that car and me.... I am very competent DIY mech, but the issue with this and many of the subsequent issues I had after 135K miles were all module/wiring/electronic issues that with the complexity of the multiple systems and their interaction with each other were really far beyond DIY. I did buy a new one in 2013 so I obviously loved the car more than the pain.

Edited by Pkscheldt

One last piece from my end. Here were the notes the Porsche tech left in the invoice:

"Vehicle will not start due to a faulty EVL. The vehicle will not start and the steering wheel will not fully unlock. Performed tests of the wiring for the EVL and the ignition module - ok. Checked the connection of the KESSY module, EVL and ignition switch - ok. Back probed the KESSY module and checked the voltage during function of vehicle key. The KESSY is not seeing an unlock signal for the EVL and in turn is keeping terminal 15 off. EVL can not be replaced on its own, quote a steering column for this vehicle."

I'd take it in my friend.

So I could only get the battery to 65% according to my Schumacher charger. Let it run all day and came back from dinner to a blinking charger with "CHECK" message showing. I figured oh well we tried. Just for s&g I put the key in and it starts immediately.....go figure. Bolted seat down and let's hope it doesn't happen again.

• 4 weeks later...