Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brake Caliper Porsche Lettering...

Does anyone have any information on whether the "die cut" lettering is better or worst compared to the "decal" lettering?  Since Porsche does not sell this, I've found several sources on the internet as well as in England.  

So any suggestions on which material is best and where to buy?

Thanks,

• Moderators

+1 on the decals, and clear coat.  I use Rust-Oleum crystal clear enamel with great results.  

A generic problem with all Porsche calipers is that over time the factory clear coat spalls off leaving flat "blotches" of the base color.  This condition can be aggravated by cleaning the calipers with a pressure washer.  

When that happens to my calipers, I use some 600+ grit sandpaper to lightly feather about the defect, and then spray on some Rust-Oleum to repair it.  works like a charm.

Here is what the calipers with 76K miles look like after a Pre-Concours refresh

wheelwell2.jpg

For the decals, search on eBay.

Before and after photos from a project a couple of years ago.  I got my paint from Tirerack.com Press Here and the decals from MaxSpeed Motor Sports Press Here

Touch them off with a couple of thin coats of Rust-Oleum crystal clear enamel spray. Wallmart or Home Depot (Press Here) for less than $4.00/can.

360eb79f.jpg

edb14efb.jpg

aa3aa973.jpg

d471b267.jpg

Edited by kbrandsma
  • Upvote 1

Just an observation that if you are tracking your car you MUST use heat resistant paint and clearcoat to prevent discoloration and imminent blistering from heat such as VHT.

Johan

Edited by Uwon

• 2 weeks later...

Caliper lettering update...  I waited for 4 weeks for my supplier to get the PORSCHE decals for my brake calipers, after vague responses on a ship date I went to the internet and bought a set on line.  What I ended up with is 4.3" long die cut vinyl letters.  I believe the letters were originally 4".  That was ok since my car is not concours...  Actually I liked the longer lettering strip and the die cut letters went on nicely.  Albeit they can be tricky to install.  I had one of the letters leap off of the mounting sheet and stick to the caliper, I carefully removed it and repositioned it on the mounting sheet.

I used Dupli-Color VHT clear spray giving the face of the caliper two coats, looks great...  I bought the lettering from a Florida based internet vendor (not from China), they furnished 4 lettering strips.  If I was to do it again I would order 5 strips, 4 to use, 1 to lose.  I might add that this vendor referred to his lettering as decals, but they were die cut letters.  I'm ok with that, but you should know what you're getting if that is important.

post-85466-0-14695700-1424989503_thumb.j