Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Wheel sensor wire part number

1998 RoW C2 coupe

My ABS light and TC Off light came on yesterday. This was quickly followed by my speedo reading very erradically. I checked for error codes and found a problem with the rear left speed sensor. Upon further inspection and a little trouble shooting, the speed sensor is OK but the connector that the speed sensor and the brake wear sensor plug into is cracked. That is causing a short in the connection. I really have two questions.

1. Is there a part number for this specific cable?

2. Is it possible to replace this cable somewhat easily?

On the electrical diagram (sheet 10) you can see the cable goes from the wheel housing to location X2/4 which is into a white 30 pin plug. This should be located in the rear left footwell. Does anyone know exactly where this is? Is it under the rear drivers side seat?

Any help that anyone can give would be most appreciated!

Well, operating on the premise that "it can't get any more broke" I went at the plug with a razor knife. The plastic crumbled apart and I was able to get the broken wire out. A little bit of solder, some electrical tape, and I have TC, ABS and a speedometer again. I still need to replace the cable as this is a short term fix at best. So if anyone has any ideas of a part number (short of having the OPC replace it) I am all ears.

post-100493-0-73932400-1431399370_thumb.For those of you who are curious, I attached a piece of the wiring diagram the show the cable I need. It is a plastic/rubber block connector bolted to the wheel hub (each wheel hub has one) then the cable runs to location X 2/4 in the rear footwell for the rears.

Edited by longrowe

• 2 weeks later...

Porsche only sells are harness repair kit for each axle side.

For the Left Rear - 996 612 953 01 Repair Kit Harness -- US MSRP $128.89

For the right Rear - 996 612 954 01 Repair Kit Harness -- US MSRP $128.89

This is exactly what you need to repair the broken wheel sensor/brake wear sensor cable. Spent 3 hours working on this and I have a speedo/TC/ABS working again. I replaced this:

post-100493-0-18410200-1432296881_thumb.

With this:

post-100493-0-87468100-1432296927_thumb.

post-100493-0-57084300-1432296914_thumb.

The cable comes from the rear driver wheel well just forward of the shock mount

post-100493-0-59794800-1432296918_thumb.

Runs across the back of the seat to a junction under the rear seatback center hinge

post-100493-0-98258300-1432296932_thumb.

Forward then across the front of the rear seat

post-100493-0-71190300-1432296939_thumb.

To the drivers side wall then down to Junction X2/4 which is on the floor just behind the drivers door

post-100493-0-75147100-1432296922_thumb.

I had to remove the rear side panel, both rear seat, pull up the carpeting for the rear seats and was able to peel back the floor carpet to do what I needed to do.

• Upvote 1