Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Squeaking noise from 1 or more wheels - WTF?

OK, doesn't seem to happen all the time. But, no matter how slow I go, forwards or backwards, there are squeaking noises coming from one or more wheels. If I apply the brakes gently, the squeaking is still there. If I drop it in neutral and coast, the squeaking is still there. Like a squealing effect. Metal on metal, high pitch type of noise, seems to be in tune with wheel rotation.

Help, this is driving me insane!!

Update: just been out in the car and no noise at all. Could it be the parking brake sticking slightly? I will wait for the noise to return, engage the parking brake slightly whilst driving and see if it makes a difference to the noise....

From what you describe it does sound like a possibility, that brake pads (at least some of them), are sticking to the rotor, causing the squeak.

Could be the pads, could be the calipers/pistons, not working properly to release pressure once pressed in.

If you nail down the side in which it is happening (have someone stand next to car as you roll by to pinpoint), then you can clean out the brakes well (remove, clean, reassemble).

take a look at how the pistons work, if the calipers are gliding in/out smooth, or if they seem to bind.  If they appear to have hard time moving either way, it may be a sign calipers need refresh.

Another way you can see is after driving for a while you stop the car and see if either rotor is super hot (would not want to touch with hand - spit at rotor to see if it boils).  

If you have not been pressing brakes just before stopping, another sign calipers are not functioning well.

Just some more ideas here before you take stuff apart.  Good luck.

I had this on my boxster the other day.  It was a very high pitch squeak.  Turns out It was a rock stuck between the hub and the rotor, took me about 5 minutes to fix. 

Try to narrow down which hub it's from, then jack the car up, remove that wheel and give the rotor a wiggle by hand. 

Edited by ARModen