Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2000 S - Hard Brake Pedal with diminished brake power

Sounds good, JFP.

Read some forums about Magnaflows in Boxsters and the satisfactory experience with them.

Called a good local muffler shop and was quoted $500-$700 for both cats installed. They seem to have worked on Boxsters before since they were asking about which one(s) out of the 4 were going bad.

Will keep my eyes open for an used OE set for sometime and then decide on this.

• 5 weeks later...

No luck so far with sourcing used cats, JFP, and having second thoughts on the Magnaflows.

Before I plan on OEM ones, do you have any thoughts on the aftermarket 200 cell ones from 

1) Fabspeed

2) Maxspeed

3) Fister

Any others?

• Moderators

No luck so far with sourcing used cats, JFP, and having second thoughts on the Magnaflows.

Before I plan on OEM ones, do you have any thoughts on the aftermarket 200 cell ones from 

1) Fabspeed

2) Maxspeed

3) Fister

Any others?

We have a couple customers running Fabspeed cats, which seem to be working well.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, JFP!

This is the system that I'm thinking of,

http://www.fabspeed.com/986-boxster-maxflo-performance-exhaust-system/ 

Is this similar to the ones that your customers are running?

For installation, can any muffler shop install this or does it need special attention/tools that only my Porsche mechanic may be more suitable with?

Thanks again!

Vish

• Moderators

Thanks, JFP!

This is the system that I'm thinking of,

Is this similar to the ones that your customers are running?

For installation, can any muffler shop install this or does it need special attention/tools that only my Porsche mechanic may be more suitable with?

Thanks again!

Vish

That link does not lead anywhere, so I cannot comment.

Most of Fabspeed's stuff can be installed by any competent muffler shop, or an auto repair with stainless welding experience.

Ah sorry, Control C/V messed up again . - it is the maxflo performance exhaust system.

:oops: 

Just scrolled up on your note, Ahsai!

The CEL is due to a P0420 which was diagnosed to be that rattling secondary cat on the passenger side, which can have the magnaflows direct fit.

The CEL lights up when I take the car to higher altitudes for the windy roads...runs fine otherwise around town, and passed emissions last yr - not due till 12/2017 too.

It is the rattling during idle/rolling on higher gear that drives me nuts and so want to fix it! :cursing:

My daily driver now is rolling past 167K and so was wondering if I put the $1.6K+labor and come up a new exhaust system or just drop in Magnaflows (both cats quoted at $500-$700 including labor) and then deal with the primary cats, when they fail.

Forums suggested that if the primary cats fail, it is not possible to have Magnflows there due to the narrowness/curvature near the headers...is this accurate?

I see, JFP.

Yes - been reading that droning effect pretty consistently on the forums from other Fabspeed customers too.

The thing is - I like the notes off my Boxster S as it is now. I would love to get my hands on a used set of cats but those seem hard to come by.

Not sure what the Magnaflows may do to that note or the power ..assuming they fit fine.

• 6 months later...

To bring closure to this thread, following the last post,

1) Came up on a consistent P0153 so, I replaced the passenger side pre-cat O2 sensor.

2) Since the rattle was quite consistent from the "back of the car" from a driver's perspective, spent a ton of time researching on Catalytic Converter and complete exhaust options. I was even told that the rattle at low speeds may be due to broken heat shields - I couldn't find any, on the cats. I used stainless steel clamps to snug on the exhaust pipes coming out of the pre-cats.  Car still had the rattliness...

3) Finally took it to a good mechanic friend who runs a non-Porsche indy shop and using a Stethoscope, with the car on the lift, started from under the car, around the exhausts systems, worked our way up to the components under the clamp shell and eventually to the behind the firewall, where the noise was more audible....

Turned out to be a weak Alternator pulley! Rattle, Clickey, or other ways to describe that sound - was driving me nuts for a long time.....almost a yr!

Since the car was pushing 172K miles on the OE Alternator, swapped out the whole Alternator.

The quietness of the motor at idle and at lights.....totally blissful!

Thank you everyone, especially JFP, for the help and support here!

Edited by Vish_ster
  • Like 1