Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

05 CTT air strut removal question

When removing the front struts, do I need to get any hardware that will be replaced when I do reinstall? For example, do I need to replace any hardware on the air Line which connects to the strut? Help really appreciated. Thank you.

Planning upper control arm replacement soon.

Thank you. After looking closer I see three different parts and I would like to find out if any of them have to be replaced if I remove the connector from the struts. The three parts are:

95535872002 - pressure valve for air strut

95535872200 - sealing ring for the valve

95535854100 - push on connector air tube

So if anyone can advise if these can be reused when servicing strut, that would be great. Thank you in advance.

I replaced my upper control arms last week and did not replace any air line parts and everything functions perfectly after re-assembly.

I suppose you could replace the 3 bolts that hold each strut/shock to the frame and if you are replace the rubber strut mount you could replace the 4 bolts that hold the mounting bracket to the shock. I didn't replace any of these but did replace all hardware for the LCA, ball joints, tie-rods, end links, etc.

If you replace the rubber strut mounts (I did - one was in 3 pieces) you will want to replace the o-ring (PN N-910-956-01) between the shock and bracket on top of the shock that houses the shock mount. Removing the nut from the strut rod requires a specialized tool or air tools.

I assume you have seen the info from Arnott here and here.

I replaced the UCA as part of a project that included the LCA, tie-rods and end links, sway bar bushings and used your writeups extensively.  :thumbup:  :cheers:

I am happy to return the favor and provide tips or photos from my experience.

Edited by GrandeOak

Excellent. Glad to see it was useful. As to parts, I think I will get the bushings and will replace the oranges too.

When you disconnected the air line, did you replace the plastic tube that is located in the valve, and the sealing ring on valve? Now thinking about it, one may not need to remove valve meaning sealing ring won't be touched, but the plastic tube - did that get swapped? Last thing I want is a leak which could burn out the compressor for shocks.

Hope my write up was accurate for you too.

I did not replace the plastic tube or the sealing ring.

It's a pretty simple compression fitting and the tube seemed to be all one unit leading back to the compressor.

I recommend replacing the shock mounts while you have everything apart.

I have 118,000 miles on my 2005 CTT and the passenger side was in three pieces and drivers side was showing signs of wear.

post-102552-0-44870000-1456493248_thumb.

Edited by GrandeOak

Hard to single out the time to do just the UCA but it is definitely doable in less than a day. Including wheel liners, wiper removal, etc.

A few thoughts/ideas

1. I used TRW UCA  (which came with nuts for bolts and ball joint) .The originals I removed were also TRW
  2. The hidden shock mounting bolts aren't that bad to remove

3. I removed the driver side wiper but not the entire wiper cowl

4. For re-installation I left one tricky mounting bolt in place on each side and put the socket on it to give it some weight. After bolting in the shock I raised it slowly with a jack until it just bumped the bolt and then gave the bolt a few turns, raised it more, turned the bolt then put in the other 2 bolts
Edited by GrandeOak
  • Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Just completed my shocks recently.  Took pics for a DIY, so others can have easier time.  I would say difficulty wise, out of 10 (being hardest), this job is about a 3.  Very easy, the only thing you have to do is decide to do it and not be intimidated.  

Once I have everything finished up, I will put the DIY up for all.

Anyone know if this would affect your alignment (if bushing is bad and driving)?

Thanks for the above pics (helped greatly with locating bolts that are 'hidden').

• 2 weeks later...

I just posted a DIY for the front airshock mount bushing and upper control arm replacement.  Hope it helps out.

Thank you Mr. GrandeOak for stealing a couple of your pics - after I was all done, realized forgot to take those ones.

Have fun.  Not hard to do, I would say 3 or 4 out of 10 on hard scale (10 being hardest).

CLICKIE