Jump to content

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Setting a new garage door code

Recommended Posts

I have a new house and I can't find any info in the owner's manual on how to cancel the old codes and reset a new code for the garage door operator.  I see on newer cars that you press the two outside buttons until the light flashes, but that doesn't seem to work.  Plus the owner's manual doesn't show the rear view mirror and the buttons...



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Park the car close to the door opener motor.  Press the "learn" button on the motor, within (20 seconds?) press the button on the remote that you want to control that door.  Hold it until the flashing light on the remote changes frequency.  IE: slows down or speeds up - done.


Google "Home Link" instructions.


Pressing the two outside buttons simultaneously erases remote stored codes.

Edited by fpb111
Link to comment
Share on other sites



I think we've found the problem, the new doors incorporate both a "rolling technology" and a common security feature.  It's a very complex system.  I believe I'll need a "repeater" to bridge

my 2003 Homelink system with the new doors.  


I'll stop by the door people tomorrow and see what they have to say, earlier they thought that I might escape the repeater, or at least he said 80% of the time you won't need it.  I hate being the other 20%...


Thanks for your input. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of my friends had to get a repeater to make his home link work. It works fine now. I was betting on the "program with the existing hand held" and then introducing car to the opener.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I just went through this issue with our '05 Cayenne in our new house.  This is what I learned but YMMV - If your opener is a Liftmater you will need a repeater to get Homelink to operate. The repeater is available from Amazon  http://tinyurl.com/jskh69q. The door on my shop has a Liftmater but I have not tried this yet.


Our main garage door has a Genie Opener.  Genie provides a good PDF on their website on Homelink programming but I could never get it to work.  Our remote is a G3T-R 3 button. Genie gives you a procedure so the Homelink will recognize this remote. I could never get that procedure to work even though the LEDs on the remote indicated that it had. There was a suggestion on one of the forums to use a different GTR-3 remote.  Also available from Amazon  http://tinyurl.com/hj5mc4e.   I paid the $22 and ordered the remote.  I had wasted hours trying to make Homelink work.  With the new remote I was successful in less than 30 seconds. 


I just got the 996 out of winter storage.  I will try to program the Homelink later this week.




Edited by oscarmyra
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.